Join GHQ's free e-mail list. Just enter your e-mail address and click on the Subscribe button. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

GHQ Models Forums
The Best Damn Wargaming Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
How to paint microarmor
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WHM
E5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: How to paint microarmor Reply with quote

Yeah, you're right! There are a number of post, sites, etc.. explaining how to do this, but for us less skilled questions remain!

Specifically, when using a airbrush to camoflage the vehicle, how do you then drybrush the vehicle?

Steps that I have been able to divine is first to prime the model, then apply the base coat, apply wash, airbrush the camo., then drybrush. The question is what color is used to drybrush and dosen't the color, assuming its the base color we are drybrushing, dosen't it cover the camo? Also, is the drybrush color thinned or is it lightened such as Ritter describes in his steps? Floorwax?

Regarding the wash, black seems to be universal is it also used when using camo? I have used it with my mono color vehicles, but for some reason it dosen't leave the shadows desired in the effect, but "dirities" the vehicle instead. I have tried to dilute it more but the results are not the best. In fact is the wash brushed on or is it dabbed into the recesses?

What I aim to do is Syrian armor for the October War.

Don't ask me details about the airbrush, its a Badger. It was free (from my Dad) and worth it to try it as opposed to spending $160 for a new and fancy one!

Thanks.
My experience has been in
You dice with death when you cross the trench
Hauptmann6
E5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www3.telus.net/Ritterkrieg/

His method works REALLY well.
WHM
E5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen his site and printed out the pages, but he uses enamels and I acrylics. Did try enamels but had some problems so have stuck with acrylics.

I use water in place of turpentine logic being if a step requires the paint to be thinned then the correct medium would then be water.

What is not clear is when drybrushing what color is used, the base color or the camo color and does it overshadow the color beneath?

Anybody get good results w/acrylics?
You dice with death when you cross the trench
1ComOpsCtr
E5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you apply cammo you need to finish the base color by drybrushing with a lighter value of the same basic color.

What color primer do you use? Basic tan, or brown, or black?

Syrian Armor might be best primed with a medium to dark brown, but black will do if you don't want to take the trouble to find brown primer. After priming dry brush at least two successively lighter colors, with the first dry brush application being as close to the true color you want to represent (as well as the first color being applied a little heavier). The second dry brush color shoul