Join GHQ's free e-mail list. Just enter your e-mail address and click on the Subscribe button. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

GHQ Models Forums
The Best Damn Wargaming Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
ZM-1 Burlington O-4 Mikado Conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> N Scale Models General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GHQ
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: ZM-1 Burlington O-4 Mikado Conversion Reply with quote

The Art of Steam Dedux
Modeling the Burlington O-4 Mikado class

After a long hiatus, the Zen Master has hectored me into writing another Art of Steam article. He admonished me by telling me I have a responsibility to promote the Zen philosophy of locomotive building. (Besides, we have all these projects with commercial possibilities in the dusty GHQ catacombs that need to see the light of day now that we are expanding the website!)

One of my very favorites is the CB&Q 0-4 Mikado. We created this set of parts probably 10 years ago, around the time of our MS-4 Southern conversion kit. We never released it then because of the slow sales of the MS-4 and the big expense of packaging and advertising it. The website allows us to do a small run and promote it to advanced modelers at a cheaper cost.

The 0-4 class is quite interesting. It is a USRA Heavy Mike, of course. That’s why Kato had a Burlington paint scheme in their original release. The “Q” bought 15 of them in 1919 numbered 5500 – 5514. But, as is the usual case with USRA’s, by the time they lasted into the transition era (our favorite period) they looked quite different. By the 1930’s they were all oil burners with bunkers in the tenders and all had feedwater heaters.

Numbers 5503, 5505, 5506, 5510, 5511 5512, and 5514 had Elesco feedwater heaters. The rest had Worthingtons.

The Fort Worth and Denver, a Burlington subsidiary, class E4A2 #451 through $455, also USRA Mikes, wee quite similar, with oil bunkers, but without feedwater heaters. Toward the end of the steam era, FW&D leased #5502 and #5514 from the Burlington.

The 0-4 Mikes were some of the last steam active anywhere in the United States. The Burlington sold six to the Colorado & Southern, their subsidiary, in June of 1957. They served there until 1960 under power and were then scraped. They were numbered 804 through 809.

While on the Burlington, all 15 spent most of their lives on the Casper, Sterling and Alliance divisions.

As far as construction goes, all the parts just get glued on with superglue. Since I’m presuming you are all advanced modelers, the photos should suffice to tell you where everything goes. You will see that I added quite a lot of brass wire ‘plumbing’ detail, in some cases scraping off the cast-on plastic detail on the Kato shell and replacing it. This is always worth doing. Notice we have both Elesco and Worthington versions. 5508 was the only locomotive with a cast commonwealth trailing truck.

These conversion castings would be appropriate for any other locomotives using these standard feedwater heaters. These sets will be sold as a bag of castings with no instructions except this posting. A relatively few sets will be made, so they will only be available until gone.

The decal set for this locomotive is available from Microscale: just pick up set #60-1130.

Parts List

BURLINGTON 0-4 CLASS CONVERSION KIT (GHQ’s kit ZM-1)
#1 Elesco Tank: Fireman-side End
#2 Elesco Feedwater Heater
#3 Worthington BL Main Tank
#4 Worthington BL Main Tank Pipe
#5 Fireman side Air Lines
#6 Pilot Air Flask
#7 Generator
#8 Westinghouse Compressor Unit
#9 Window Frame (2)
#10 Engineer side Forward Air Lines
#11 Engineer side Aft Brake Lines
#12 Engineer side Backing Unit
#13 Fireman side Walkway Section
#14 Check Valves (2)
#15 Smokestack
#16 Smokestack Lid
#17 Tender Oil Tank
#18 Tender Oil Level Gauge
#19 Cab Roof Combing sprue
#20 Pilot
#21 Elesco Feedwater Pump
#22 Control Box
#23 Commonwealth Trailing Truck: Engineer-side
#24 Air Filter
#25 Elesco Tank: Engineer-side End
#26 Commonwealth Trailing Truck: Fireman-side

Worthington Version:

Elesco Version:

A complete set of the parts (both the Elesco and Worthington feedwater heaters are included, you decide which locomotive you want to make) shown above can be purchased here for $19.95 plus s and h:

http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/zm1.html

Thank you for your support,
GHQ

Last edited by GHQ on Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
cama
E5

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A super cool article. Nicely done!
haasmarc

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an outstanding idea. I have read and reread the Zen articles as inspiration for my modelling. I am hoping that the PRR hippo is featured here. That is one model I will buy several parts packages for.
twister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great idea guys, now we need a kit for other locos in the same price range.
bobyar2001

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Have to get a set of those parts Reply with quote

I don't own one of the Kato 2-8-2s yet, but plan to buy the parts set for later. I'm not really a model railroader, but did snag some rides from friendly Colorado & Southern crewmen in the yard at Greeley, Colorado between 1957-59. Last ride was on the 807 (Q 5508) in February 1959, ironically the same day as the plane crash in Iowa that killed Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper. Like the Don Mclean song, truly "the day the music died". Those C&S guys inspired a railroad career, from which I retired last year. I used to do a little work in N scale, but the eyes and fingers don't work quite as well now, so we'll see how it goes. Any good sources for the Kato 2-8-2? I'd rather buy one that has been tested and approved rather than get stuck with a poor runner and keep sending it back.

Bob Yarger
bobyar2001

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Some Q 0-4 photos Reply with quote

No. 5504 at Wichita Falls, TX, 4/20/56:

http://abpr2.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?july08/07-28-08/cb+q5504.jpg

No. 5506 (later C&S 805), at Cheyenne, WY, Spring 1956.

http://abpr2.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?july08/07-28-08/cb+q5506.jpg

No. 5508 (later C&S 807), probably on the Fort Worth & Denver, 1956.

http://abpr2.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?july08/07-28-08/cb+q5508.jpg
bobyar2001

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: CRR of NJ 2-8-2 Reply with quote

Jersey Central 2-8-2 871, one of25 built by Brooks in 1922. Basic USRA heavy, with a wide firebox. At Communipaw, NJ, August 1948.

http://abpr2.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?january09/01-07-09/cnj871a.jpg
bobyar2001

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Great Northern 2-8-2 Reply with quote

Great Northern heavy USRA 2-8-2 at Minneapolis, 7/8/33. These reportedly worked first on the El Paso & South Western.

http://abpr2.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?january09/01-11-09/gnr3206.jpg
bobyar2001

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Pittsburg & West Virginia Heavy USRA 2-8-2 Reply with quote

Temporary link to eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOTO-NEGATIVE-Railroad-Pittsburgh-West-Virginia-1051_W0QQitemZ260585191434QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3cac16780a
Mark W

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely loved this kit! I wish I had more Mikados just so I could use this kit! Very Happy

I submitted my conversion to Kato's Website Gallery. Check it out here:

http://www.katousa.com/gallery/Mark-Watson
Mark W

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pictures from my website as well. (Click link to see full res) Smile

http://www.markwatson3d.com/MRR/imgs/full_res/Burlington_O4_Mikado_01.jpg

http://www.markwatson3d.com/MRR/imgs/full_res/Burlington_O4_Mikado_BW.jpg
smitty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: CB&Q Conversion Wire sizes?? Reply with quote

I recently order and received the O-4 Conversion package. A Great deal!! I plan this to be the first in several GHQ and other modifications. My question is, since this is my first conversion and I've studied the web instructions carefully, can someone recommend the wire sizes for the various pipes and handrails. I could guess, but I'd rather have a more definitive answer. I can tell there are at least 2, and I think 3 different sizes brass wire used. Thanks. Mark Smith
nmanica
E5

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty cool,wish I could to that my hand shakes to much for that stuff now.
N
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> N Scale Models General Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: