Join GHQ's free e-mail list. Just enter your e-mail address and click on the Subscribe button. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

GHQ Models Forums
The Best Damn Wargaming Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
New aircraft carrier
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:36 am    Post subject: New aircraft carrier Reply with quote

In the long standing tradition of naming aircraft carriers after us presidents can't wait for the new Donald class ships Very Happy
BattlerBritain
E5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should call them the 'Trump' class.

By the way, in UK English 'To Trump' also means 'to break wind'. Smile

I think the Royal Navy will never let you guys hear the end of it Laughing
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heheheh
we may also get to play new scenarioes: eg: mexico assaulting the wall ......... newest US carrier Donald J. Trump in position to provide support. Very Happy
piersyf
E5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Donald class exists...
(well closest I could get... a model of Donald Duck like this would have Disney sue your butt for the cost of the US defecit)
microgeorge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very funny gentlemen. Did you all write for your high school newspapers? Let's try to leave politics off of this forum. There are other places for that.
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High school newspapers?
No need to put someone down for having some good natured fun.
Do we censor everything?
How boring do you want this forum to get if all we can talk about are lumps of metal.
As for politics I would not dare to comment on us politics, why should I , you guys are doing just great.
microgeorge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that the majority of comments on this thread come from our Oz friends. As I would not venture to comment on your internal politics on this forum perhaps you should show the same regard. This is a forum about playing with toy soldiers (and military history) and not the Daily Kos or National Review. Please don't poison it with political comments.
panzergator
E5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for having a place to go where we didn't have to listen to politics...
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow

You guys serious?
It is a long bow to draw from yellow rubber duck to politics, not at any point did we discuss his policies, Americas foreign. Policy or the election.
So if you don!t like it don!t read it
Jeez!!!
Guroburov
E5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually thought it was all pretty funny. But then I've never taken my politics too seriously. Love the giant rubber duck.
saxophone
E5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think naming an aircraft carrier after Trump is highly unlikely. All of the carriers named after Presidents are named after Presidents who have served in the military.

Just my two cents.
CG2
E5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they generally wait until their presidency is over and then see if they were any good - but Trump hasn't served in the military or as Secretary of War so it's probably unlikely.
Donald M. Scheef
E5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: "... long standing tradition of naming aircraft carriers after us presidents."
Naming aircraft carriers after U.S. presidents didn't become a "tradition" until CVA 67, John F. Kennedy, commissioned in1968. From that time until now, nine of twelve carriers (completed or announced) have been named after U.S. presidents.
I wouldn't include CVB 42, Franklin D. Roosevelt, as starting a tradition. It was over 20 years until another carrier was named after a president.
Assuming that it is a "tradition," it is one that I don't like very much. There has been way too much political influence rather than naval tradition involved.
The real tradition in naming U.S. aircraft carriers is to name them after battles and historic U.S. Navy ships. This initially was to be the format for battle cruisers, but with the completion of Lexington and Saratoga as carriers this became the form for the vast majority of U.S. carriers. I think that selecting "Enterprise" as the name of CVN 80 is a step in the right direction.
Exception to this pattern:
- CV 1, Langley, was named after an early US aviation pioneer.
- CV 13, Franklin, was named after an earlier ship-of-the-line (but this was named after the scientist and diplomat Benjamin Franklin).
- CV 15, Randolph, was named after an earlier frigate (but this was named after the 1st President of the Continental Congress).
- CV 19, Hancock, was named after an earlier frigate (but this was named after the Revolutionary War leader).
- CVB 42, Franklin D. Roosevelt, named after the recently-deceased president (who never served in the military).
- CVL 49, Wright, named after the aviation pioneer brothers.
- CVA 59, Forrestal, was named after the recently-deceased Secretary of the Navy.
- CVA 67, John F. Kennedy, named after the recently-deceased president (who had served as a junior officer in the USN during WWII)
- CVAN 68, Nimitz, was named after the Fleet Admiral of WWII
- CVN 69, Dwight D. Eisenhower, was named after the deceased president (who had been General of the Army in WWII)
- CVN 70, Carl Vinson, was named after the congressman (who had never served in the military, but was influential in government/military affairs) This broke a long-standing tradition in the U.S. Navy; the ship was commissioned while Carl Vinson was still alive.
- CVN 71, Theodore Roosevelt, was named after the deceased president (who had served in the Army during the Spanish-American War).
- CVN 72, Abraham Lincoln, was named after the deceased president (who had served in the Army (militia) during the Blackhawk War.
- CVN 73, George Washington, was named after the first president of the U.S., previously commander of the Revolutionary War army.
- CVN 74, John C. Stennis, was named after the recently-deceased senator (who had never served in the military but was influential in government/military affairs).
- CVN 75, Harry S. Truman, named after the deceased president of the U.S. (who served in the U.S. Army during WWI).
- CVN 76, Ronald Reagan, named after the former president of the U.S. (who served in the U.S. Army Air Corps - in a non-combat role - during WWII).
- CVN 77, George H.W. Bush, named after the former president of the U.S. (who served in the U.S. Navy as a carrier-based pilot during WWII).
- CVN 78, John F. Kennedy

Don S.
you'll avoid catastrophe."
D'oh!

Last edited by Donald M. Scheef on Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good posts

Thank you gentelmen, at least some semblance of sanity returned to the forum.

The day we start taking offence at a bloody rubber duck ....... best left unsaid.
I was going to start this thread in a light vain to get few laughs and then move on to the actual aircraft carriers that a planned or on the drawing board for the near future, but the fun police have killed that desire in me.

BTW i'm getting a rubber duck as my Avatar
With a caption " there are things we should fear a great deal more then a rubber duck

Hows that? Very Happy
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special thanks to Donald M. Scheef
For his in depth expalnation.

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: