Join GHQ's free e-mail list. Just enter your e-mail address and click on the Subscribe button. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

GHQ Models Forums
The Best Damn Wargaming Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
scratch building
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redram

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pictures from my current WIP project.
This modell is inspired by the Roleplay "Twilight 2000" Itīs about a fictional 3.World War in the late 1990īs. Some realy funny vehicles show up there. So this is one of them. The normal Kanonenjagdpanzer is impoved by using the Loepard 2 120mm Gun and the additional armor of the Jaguar.
I used three GHQ Models for this simple conversion: 1xJaguar, 1xLeopard 2, 1xKanonenjagdpanzer.
Step 1:
Remove Weapons from the Jaguar (the hatch for the HOT-Missile and the front MG)
Cut one roof-hatch and the gunmantlet from the Kanonenjagdpanzer
Cut the gunbarrel from the Leopard turret.

Step 2:
Mix it all the and use some parts made from Plasticcard:

Step 3:
Painting
Follows as soon as possible...
chrisswim
E5

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice conversion of the M41, if you would like to do 13 for me, I'll be glad to ship to you....

Great job.
HMSDiomede
E5

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferret701 wrote:
I've finished my prototype M41 DK conversion.

For those unfamiliar with it, the model is a GHQ M41 converted to look like those used by Denmark until the early 1990s. The Danish camo scheme seems quite close to that of the Brits, so I used those colors. I put the camo net on the back because I couldn't get the fine details right on the top of the newly-added storage boxes. Also, I used 28 gauge brass wire for the aerial as an experiment. I don't think I'll do so again, as it looks to thick. Normally I use bristles cut from cheap household nylon paint brushes. I also need to use a finer brass mesh on the sides of the turret on the future models.
I have templates available for the sideskirts if anyone is interested.

Pat Callahan

Looks really great, Pat! Shocked

You may want to try tulle (the stuff they make wedding veils out of) or woven fabric interfacing to make a finer mesh. I have used the stuff to make radar antennas in 1/700 scale with good results. Have also used it to make things like radiator grilles in some of my scratchbuilt 20mm models. The stuff is also cheap and an 1/8 of a yard from the local fabric store will give you a life-time supply.

David
ferret701
E5

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisswim wrote:
Very nice conversion of the M41, if you would like to do 13 for me, I'll be glad to ship to you....

Great job.

Thanks. It was the most ambitious conversion I have yet pursued. I think next up might be Canadian M113 engineering versions.

As to a making more, I have parts and templates, and hope future models will go faster. This guy is meant as a prototype for another four, which I'm going to do in the next few weeks (actually, not the next two, as I'm swamped at work this week and on vacation next). I let you know if it gets any easier with additional models.

HMS ...

Thanks for the tip. I considered fabric for this, but as it needs some structural integrity, I ruled it out. However, I will look at tulle for other projects.

Pat
Fulcrum
E5

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to post a few of my basic scratch built units...

Israeli Machbet

Russian 2S23 (SP120mm mortar)

Chinese Type-80 AA

Chinese HQ-2 (Mobile SA-2)

The real life unit that I used for the template is on my web page at http://redrick.net/homebuilt.htm

P.S Also a few more do by the very talented Steve Segura including a LAV-AD & a C-17
tstockton
E5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I considered fabric for this, but as it needs some structural integrity, I ruled it out. However, I will look at tulle for other projects.

First off, some REALLY nice work being shown in this thread! I'm having troubles even getting my models painted to my satisfaction, let alone modifying and scratchbuilding into other types! I'm very impressed!

But as for the tulle... Is there something you could soak it in that when it dried, it would have some more "strength"? I know that "super glue" can be used with string, cloth, paper, etc. -- but my guess is that "super glue" would dissolve tulle. (Maybe not... might be worth a try...) How about a very dilute white glue / water / dishwashing detergent mix? And would either "clog" the openings in the mesh, thus ruining the effect you'd be trying for?

Just a couple of thoughts... maybe they'd work, and maybe they'd lead you to think on one that would work!

Regards,
Tom Stockton

-- Major T. J. "King" Kong in "Dr. Strangelove"
HMSDiomede
E5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tstockton wrote:
Quote:
I considered fabric for this, but as it needs some structural integrity, I ruled it out. However, I will look at tulle for other projects.

But as for the tulle... Is there something you could soak it in that when it dried, it would have some more "strength"? I know that "super glue" can be used with string, cloth, paper, etc. -- but my guess is that "super glue" would dissolve tulle. (Maybe not... might be worth a try...) How about a very dilute white glue / water / dishwashing detergent mix? And would either "clog" the openings in the mesh, thus ruining the effect you'd be trying for?
Regards,
Tom Stockton

I use a very thin coat of superglue to attach it to sheet sytrene. Avoid using too much as it fills in the mesh openings as Tom mentioned. Haven't had any problems with it melting the fabric. When making radars in 1/700, I glue a piece of mesh fabric interfacing to both sides of a piece of .010" sheet sytrene with superglue. Wait for it to dry, and then cut to final shape with scissors and X-acto knife. When making curved radars, you can bend or roll the styrene to shape before gluing on the mesh. The superglue then acts to hold the curved shape permanently. My only real complaint with the stuff is that the assembled part can't be sanded to shape very well, because the fabric edges simply fray out.

David
ferret701
E5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HMSDiomede wrote:

I use a very thin coat of superglue to attach it to sheet sytrene. Avoid using too much as it fills in the mesh openings as Tom mentioned. Haven't had any problems with it melting the fabric. When making radars in 1/700, I glue a piece of mesh fabric interfacing to both sides of a piece of .010" sheet sytrene with superglue. Wait for it to dry, and then cut to final shape with scissors and X-acto knife. When making curved radars, you can bend or roll the styrene to shape before gluing on the mesh. The superglue then acts to hold the curved shape permanently. My only real complaint with the stuff is that the assembled part can't be sanded to shape very well, because the fabric edges simply fray out.

David

Thanks, David, I think that might just work for me. I'll give it a try and post pictures.

Pat
jb
E5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferret701 wrote:
[HMS ...

Pat
Go to the hardware store-go into plumbing- look for faucet screens-they might just have the "to Scale" effect mesh.
Mk 1
E5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few of my scratch-built aircraft.

These were not "kit bashes" -- not made by modifying an existing model, but rather from scratch. I sketched out forms to scale on paper, used them as guides to cut card board, and puttied-in and sanded the bodies to shape.

All were made back in the '70s and early '80s. I think I made the last in about '82. That was about the point where I realized the terrible skin rashes I was suffering from were an allergic reaction to the plastic modelling putty. So I had to stop making scratch-builds.

First is a P-39 Airacobra. Didn't quite get the focus right on this pic. Sorry. But my old 'Cobras are veterans of many wargames from decades ago. Certified Panther-killers they were. (More recent readings have clarified to me me that the 'Cobra's 37mm cannon was useless against armor -- shhhh, don't tell my old high-school buddies that!)

Lavotchkin La-5s. The heart of my anti-Stuka defenses.

Turning to modern, we have some French Gazelle Helicopters with a Mirage III providing CAP. I first made the Mirage for gaming the '67 Arab/Israeli war. Gazelles were originally concidered for a modern Jugoslavian force. Later I started picking up modern French stuff, and they were repainted.

MiG-21s in air-to-air livery. These babies actually managed to chase away some F-16s in a hobby-shop pick-up game years ago. Seems my opponant had air-to-ground ordinance hung all over his planes -- not a one was set-up for air-to-air.

It might be fun some day return to scratch-building to see if I could better my skills. But there is much less incentive these days -- when I did these models, not a single one of them was available commercially.

I had a virtual monopoly on airpower in many games when I was young. So much so that I also scratch-built Stukas, Me-109s, and even an He-111 to sell to an opponant (if I recall correctly) back in about '75. Wonder what ever happened to those old birds...
jony

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark the AC look great. What kind of putty did you use? Was it like the Squadron green?

Jon

http://www.geocities.com/esotericarmies/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mk 1
E5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jony wrote:
Mark the AC look great.

Thanks. I was afraid I had killed the thread by posting the pics. Maybe my aircraft looked so bad they had chased everyone away....

Quote:
What kind of putty did you use? Was it like the Squadron green?

EXACTLY! Ha! Good guess!

More recently I have tried using Testor's plastic putty. I don't seem to have quite as virulent a reaction to it, but I still do have some trouble. If I am careful to not get much on my skin, and to wash very thoroughly after using it, I can generally get away without the rash. But using putty has become a very rare event in my modelling.

Too bad. I thought the P-39s and the Gazelles showed some promise...
Raikitsune

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm extreamly impressed with the gazelles mate! i thought they were store bought to begin with. wish i had your ability!
HMSDiomede
E5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive work, Mark 1! The Gazelles are indeed easily mistaken for commercial models.

David
exsubguy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: just a post Reply with quote

just wanted to keep this thread going
i loved to see the new stuff made by US
thanks
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 2 of 67

Jump to: