Join GHQ's free e-mail list. Just enter your e-mail address and click on the Subscribe button. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

GHQ Models Forums
The Best Damn Wargaming Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Show us your terrain!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CDP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Thanks again Reply with quote

Thanks again. That looks like it will work. I wonder also if I can get them in green? I have a copy of "Night Drop" by SLA Marshall about the US Airborne drop on D Day. In it he mentions that the US Paratroopers dug into a field of either lettuces or cabbages. The attacking Germans could not differentiate between the US helmets and the vegetables so could not effectively return fire.

As a wargamer it could give a bonus to dug in troops.

Carl D Peachey
RedDragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDP,

Ha, that's awesome! Pleasure working with you!
PolishGI
E5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few pics of what I am working onů

BurtWolf
E5

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the Terrain Maker hexes to build a board - I have made enough to do a 4' x4' battlefield. I deliberately made the stream blue as i just want things to pop a little - i know it should be a dreary color.

I still have to build a frame for the hexes - pics will be forthcoming. Anyway, here are three interchangeable bridges I made from scratch. One is the "blown" version and the other two are intact...

CDP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I have really wanted to make for a long while is to create swamps. Now looking online at Terrain creator web sites you can see that a lot of them regard swamps as 3 lakes or ponds in close proximity to each other with some long grass close by. This is not how i see swamps. My idea of swamps it more like the Florida Everglades with islands of over grown plants surrounded by muddy water.

So last year I came across a railway grass may by a company I think is called Heki. Now this grass mat is broken up into sections with long grass and short grass sections between them. I bought some of this stuff and cut fitted it to some 3 mm base MDF. I then painted the between sections with a muddy brown and used clear silicone for the water. This failed and looked horrible as the silicone was in sections patchy and taller than the reeds. It also looked odd as the swamp sections were higher than the surrounding terrain. So I gave up on this.

Since then I have discovered another water product that comes in both a gel and a liquid. I again tried to make swamps but this time had it indented below my terrain bards and tried to raise up the dry areas. So fa so good until I put down the water affects again. The Gel is OK as it dries clear but the liquid remains white.

I regard these as failures as they did not dry clear. So I though I would post some photos of my work to see if any one else has attempted the same or come up with a better way of doing it.

Any criticism or advise accepted.

Water affects applied.

General swampy area from the side:

After a month of waiting for the water affects to go clear. BMP's for scale.

Some of the original pieces with new water affects added.

Carl D Peachey
madman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well your overall effect looked excellent. Too bad about the clear. Perhaps you should post the brand so others can avoid it. Did you contact the manufacturer? Possibly an off batch or they changed the instructions.
CDP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I will take you advise and contact the company.

The product is Liquitex both in a Gloss Gel and the liquid Pouring Medium. I have used both successfully from the same bottles on river sections with no problems. So dont see it as a problem with the products. On the Swamp board above you can see that the right hand side had the Gel applied. This dried normally. In the last photo I attempted to use the Gel to build a wall around the pieces and then pour in the liquid medium. I have not put on an after photo of these pieces but they look OK. It was the Pouring medium used in the swamp sections that ended up white. It may have ended up looking like it did due to other factors such as being applied too thickly or the humidity here may have been too high.

Carl D Peachey
Gompel
E5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although you regard it as failure, your swamps look quite impressive. I never attempted to make swamps, but I wouldn't use those special water products. For water, I just use glossy varnish. I would make a smooth and dark underground. At this scale I think that uneven surfaces for water look unnatural, unless your are modelling waves or something.
Another (little) piece of advice: I think I use the same trees as you for my terrain. In my eyes the green is too bright. So I spraypaint them with a darker and more greyish (matt) green colour which will blend them in better with the rest of your terrain colours.
BurtWolf
E5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally closing in on being done with my terrain hexes (first time using them). I built a 4x8 frame to hold them all and did a few small hills. Need to add more trees and scrub brush, dark wash on roads, and build hedges, but here it is so far:

PolishGI
E5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurtWolf wrote:
Finally closing in on being done with my terrain hexes (first time using them). I built a 4x8 frame to hold them all and did a few small hills. Need to add more trees and scrub brush, dark wash on roads, and build hedges, but here it is so far:

You've been busy! Looking good! Shocked
Guroburov

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an awesome table.
PolishGI
E5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the interest of keeping things moving along...

pmskaar
E5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Show Us Your Terrain Reply with quote

To Burt and Polish GI

Very nice looking terrain for both of you. Polish GI, I do like the bocage look and think you pulled it off very well. Both layouts look cool, Great job!

Pete
PolishGI
E5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Show Us Your Terrain Reply with quote

pmskaar wrote:
To Burt and Polish GI

Very nice looking terrain for both of you. Polish GI, I do like the bocage look and think you pulled it off very well. Both layouts look cool, Great job!

Pete

Thank you for the kind words Pete!
BurtWolf
E5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete. Polish, your bocage looks really good and your town hexes are inspiring to follow suit. My buildings just don't look right sitting next on a grass covered hex next to a road - I think you hit on a good idea.

Fields are looking good too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 19 of 20

Jump to: