Join GHQ's free e-mail list. Just enter your e-mail address and click on the Subscribe button. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

GHQ Models Forums
The Best Damn Wargaming Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
FH77 Howitzer Disappointment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JasonAfrika

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: FH77 Howitzer Disappointment Reply with quote

FYI- Unfortunately GHQ has decided NOT to provide the usual 2 trucks for these rather nice guns. I confirmed that via telephone with them. I actually cancelled that portion of my order. 4 guns for $12 just doesnt sit well. I hope this does not become a trend. Sad
chrisswim
E5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it doesn't, but did you see the detail on those guns? The lifting arm? Sweet looking gun!!
E5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to to some packs of the past I think it is still a good deal, I will buy some when I can (not top of the list at the moment).
I think the real problem that GHQ faced with this one would have been what truck to use?
Main users are listed as Sweden, India, Nigeria and Iran so a new truck would have been required.

I would always like to see more in a pack but I myself am not disappointed with this one.
In the past I have been put off buying a pack just by the listing, two of something is always hard to take. The same is for very small items too.

I had wanted GHQzu-23-2's for a long but was put off by thinking just 4 with MTLB was not worth it.
Then I checked a pack and noticed that they had more parts than required.
Always enough for six, last pack I will stretch to eight if I can make some barrels!

Maybe some FH77 will be packed late on a Friday afternoon and will end up with 5 in them.
GHQ
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One point to consider is that those are not your average sized guns. They are quite large, quite detailed, and have quite a few parts. The guns are also self-propelled for maneuvering, and and positioning. They wouldn't travel cross country on the own, but they are self-propelled in the field. The fact that there are 4 guns in the pack- two deployed, and two travel- is not something that we feel is at all out of line with the rest of our packs.

Thank you for your support,
GHQ
The Real Bill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with 7.62, I wasn't expecting the standard 4 guns and 2 trucks in the pack. I'm familiar with the prototype and know how big and complicated it is. 4 in a pack seems about right. I'm wondering if there are going to be any Scania trucks coming? It seems like there has been a move to do more Swedish stuff in the last few years. The SBA seems to have pretty limited military uses.
cama
E5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at the pics; they do seem massive and multipart, so four does seem right.

I prefer to pick my logistics trucks separately anyway...
MechCommander
E5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of artillery when are we going to see some Modern Artillery crews?
chatto
E5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As GHQ said, the FH-77 isn't exactly your run of the mill artillery gun. It's actually quite the detailed piece, both in reality and on the model itself.

The bigger 155mm pieces these days have some serious extra bits and bobs added - and furthermore, if this is the level of detail they can do now, then the future models (fingers remain crossed for things like the MSTA-B/ G5/ Soltam 155mm howitzer) are going to be insane!
panzergator
E5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree about choosing prime movers for my artilkery. I would rather get more guns. I also would prefer to choose between firing or moving the pieces, so I would like to see separate packs for towing versus emplaced. Let us choose between lumbered and unlimbered.
panzergator
E5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any case, specify the capacity required of the prime movers on the package.
Donald M. Scheef
E5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on a quick search through Wikipedia, here are probable prime movers for the FH77:
Sweden - Scania SBA111S (Terrangbil 40)
India - Sweden built Scania SBA111S for India, but the vehicle doesn't show up on the list of Indian vehicles. The most likely vehicles listed is the domestically built Ashok Leyland Super Stallion FAT.
Nigeria - Nothing explicitly identified but the most likely listed vehicle is the KrAZ-6322.
Iran - as for Nigeria, KrAZ-6322.
If anyone has better information, please correct me.

Don S.
you'll avoid catastrophe."
D'oh!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: