Join GHQ's free e-mail list. Just enter your e-mail address and click on the Subscribe button. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

GHQ Models Forums
The Best Damn Wargaming Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
ZM-5 North Coast Limited Dining Car

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> N Scale Models General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GHQ
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: ZM-5 North Coast Limited Dining Car Reply with quote

PRE-WAR NORTH COAST LIMITED DINING CAR

Those of you who remember the Zen Master articles in “N Scale Magazine” can tell that my main interest is Northern Pacific steam. My favorite time would be 1944-1945, plenty of steam, troop trains, fruit blocks, and a smattering of first generation diesels. But for me the Holy Grail (at least for now) is duplicating the pre-war North Coast Limited in all it’s glory.

While the North Coast Limited occasionally had steel plated truss rod wood cars in its consist, particularly when running in separate sleeper and coach sections during busy times. In 1939 it was generally an all steel heavyweight train. So my objective was to duplicate this basic train. The consist did vary somewhat, but generally was made up of the following:

 1 x RPO 1400 series
 1 x Baggage Express 1500 series
 1 x Combine 1400 series
 2 x Coaches 1200 or 1300 series
 1 x Diner 1600 series
 2 x 10-1-1 Chief sleepers
 1 x Pullman “Poplar” series 6-6 sleepers
 1 Observation Car 1700 series

Seasonably this could change depending on traffic. Additional baggage express cars could be added especially at holiday season. Express box cars or express reefers could be added especially to carry the first salmon or cherries of the season, although the “Alaskan” was more likely to have extra express added. The “Alaskan” was the NP’s secondary East-West passenger train.

To accomplish making this train, clearly we must convert Rivarossi heavyweight passenger cars. Now we could do what 95% of the N scale fraternity would do, just decal the available “stock” cars with NP decals and be done with it. But the Zen Master would never allow that. The Zen Master knows that true happiness and fulfillment can only be achieved when you do a thorough job, especially when such can be duplicated correctly by converting the Rivarossi cars.

Some of the cars are easy and some are tougher to modify – the diner and observation car are the most difficult, so let’s start with the diner first!

Dining Car

The diners were #1690 through #1698 and were built in 1930. They were almost identical to Great Northern diners #1030 through #1051. They bumped the arch windowed steel sheathed wood diners to North Coast Limited coach sections, when traffic caused the North Coast Limited to run in two sections of coach and sleeper, and other trains.

I started the conversion by modifying the roof. The car has air conditioning ducts on both sides over the dining tables. I formed the ducts with epoxy putty and sanded them to shape when they had dried. All the vents were made from styrene except the cooking hood vents with the tails on them. For those I made a pattern and an RTV (“room temperature vulcanizing”) rubber mold and then cast them in pewter. I added a styrene edge to the clerestory to make it more accurate. Drip rails were added over the doors and ends, wire grabs were fashioned from brass wire and installed where needed.

The body was heavily modified. The left side has had the two vents toward the rear filled in as well as the one window.

A new plain section with no windows or doors was added at the front of the side. Both the kitchen and dining room windows were reworked with styrene to match the look of the prototype. Pieces were cut to reduce the height of the dining windows, and to raise the bottoms of the kitchen windows. New mullions were added to split the windows in two as on the prototype. The right side was similarly re-done as seen in the photos. Notice particularly that I replaced windows along the hallway next to the kitchen to increase the number of windows from three to four. All large side additions were added with sections from other cannibalized cars. Sides were carefully razor sawn from those cars to get sufficient material for this and other conversions. You can’t be afraid to destroy other cars to get the parts you need for these conversions. Appropriate wire grabs and stirrup steps were added.

On the interior, plastic bits were added to the tables and chairs to raise them, make them more prominent and more realistic. Correct underbody detail was added from castings created with molds made of RTV rubber. We created our own decals in gold on our Alps printer for the North Coast Limited. This was particularly important for the sleeper decals with names like “Poplar Glade” and “Chief Pine Shooter” – the ends were enhanced with appropriate diaphragms.

Contact GHQ and let us know how you like this article. If there is enough interest, GHQ will produce commercial casting of the roof vents and underbody details!

Arnold / Rivarossi 1920 Heavyweight Passenger Car Stock Numbers (partial list)
ARN-950 (set of 4)
ARN-951
ARN-530

Please give us some feedback on this article. Do you like it? Why? Why not? Does it have too much historical information? Not enough? Are the descriptions too detailed? Not detailed enough? Would you like to see more articles like this one?

Thank you for your support,
GHQ
cama
E5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the article. I know nothing about trains, but these articles are inspiring.

So does GHQ just sell conversion kits, or also the train cars?

It would be really cool, if you had a "complete kit". I could do trains. Small scale stuff.
rjlee1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: PRE-WAR NORTH COAST LIMITED DINING CAR Reply with quote

Zen Master,

Build it, and they will come.

I would definitely be a customer for parts, etc for this car. I have a 6-car set of Rivarossi's, and two Model Power heavy-weights sitting in the closet for conversion to NP. Your articles, along with some of the custom made parts are just what I need to get them converted.

Although I do love narrow-gauge (RLW), my standard gauge interest is the NP in the same era as you have mentioned. I am (slowly) working on a little shelf layout to simulate Kent, WA about 1944-47 in my limited real estate.

This and anything else NP you can produce. How about Q's, L-9's and Gas-Electrics as well? (I really drool over the nice PSC HO NP brass locos and cars out there. I don't mind that such offerings are not available in brass if we could at least have kits. Actually, as I am more a modeler, I prefer good kits.)

Keep up the good work!

Richard J. Lee
sfsppe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Wonderful! Reply with quote

I simply love what you're showing. I'm a hardcore ATSF modeler and will put these skills to use on my own road name. Would love to have a few more details available to purchase GHQ!
PGE_Modeller

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent article. I would definitely be interested in cast pewter underbody details.
GNFA310

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: ZM-5 North Coast Limited Dining Car Reply with quote

GHQ wrote:

Contact GHQ and let us know how you like this article. If there is enough interest, GHQ will produce commercial casting of the roof vents and underbody details!

Arnold / Rivarossi 1920 Heavyweight Passenger Car Stock Numbers (partial list)
ARN-950 (set of 4)
ARN-951
ARN-530

Please give us some feedback on this article. Do you like it? Why? Why not? Does it have too much historical information? Not enough? Are the descriptions too detailed? Not detailed enough? Would you like to see more articles like this one?

Thank you for your support,
GHQ

First: Great job on the diner.

Feedback: I do like this project. Why? I have a couple heavyweight diner shells I could fix up. Accuracy: I think you should post some pics to the NPRHA site and/or the Yahoo group and see what they think. Details: From what I can tell you have the dinver 'spot-on.' Descriptions: Your descriptions are nicely detailed (for me anyway) and clear. More articles? ABSOLUTELY!!

I would love it if you produced the details for this and all the cars of the NP heavyweight NCL. Might also think about the GN heavyweight cars (Oriental Ltd.; Empire Builder 1920s)

JMHO... Very Happy
rjlee1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: PRE-WAR NORTH COAST LIMITED DINING CAR Reply with quote

Greg,

OK, I would like to see detailed instructions on how to build this car, especially the details on sizes of the various styrene pieces used and where you obtained what appears to be molded styrene (?) items such as the little round vents. Also, info on exactly what each item is would be handy, if you have it.

I have some books on NP passenger cars, but nothing such as detailed plans with labeling of parts. Even the NPHRA has no such information. Where did you get your information from to build this car?

More data would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard J. Lee
rjlee1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: PRE-WAR NORTH COAST LIMITED DINING CAR Reply with quote

Greg,

OK, second search found the book on the NPHRA site that you must have used.

NP Passenger Car Diagrams
SKU:N6051
$29.95

Richard
schlund

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work. I've done a similar conversion, mine was for a Lehigh Valley diner.

See urls below.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2428/3818649333_53e5ef31c8_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2580/3818650175_1cb4e5d64f_b.jpg

- Claus at Hell Gate Models
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> N Scale Models General Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: