Join GHQ's free e-mail list. Just enter your e-mail address and click on the Subscribe button. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

GHQ Models Forums
The Best Damn Wargaming Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Temporary Basing, and Rotating Turrets
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
8ball
E5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Temporary Basing, and Rotating Turrets Reply with quote

Binpicker and I have been talking a bit about basing. Anyone who games with the GHQ rules knows that they use a standard 1 base for all units. But this presents a problem. We both also like to game using other sets of rules that call for different sized basing, or no bases at all. And quite frankly for 1:1 scale games, the 1 base is too big. So, we both concluded that a basing method that allowed you to easily remove and re-attach your tanks and vehicles would be the key.

So, I started thinking about using magnets, poked around eBay, and have stumbled upon what I think is a pretty good solution neodymium magnets. These babies come in all shapes and sizes, and are stronger than Arnold's armpits after a workout.

I started with two sizes. One size, pictured here is .156 in diameter, or slightly larger than 1/8.

The other size is a ridiculously small 1/16D by 1/32 thick.

I start by gluing (Zap Glue works great) one of the larger magnets to the base.

I then glue one of the smaller magnets to the underside of the tank, being sure to have their poles going in the same direction, and SHAZBOT! Youre done. For larger tanks, add another magnet or two to fill the gap between the tank and base. The magnets are strongest when they are actually touching. An alternative is to glue some sort of ferris object, like a small wire brad to the underside of the tank. That works too. Heres a picture of an M3 Stuart with a small nail glued to the hull:

When you bring the tank and base near to each other, they pop together with a very satisfying pull, and click.

Then I got to thinking, why not secure the turret with a magnet too. Most GHQ tanks have either a small, about 1/16 diameter turret pin, or a large 1/8 pin. For the small pin, I simply glued one of the tiny magnets to its end.

For the larger pin, such as on the M1A2, I drilled a 1/16 hole in the middle and glued a tiny magnet into the hole, though you dont need to drill a hole. I did it for extra security.

Here are some examples. Heres a pic of an M1A2 with plow, possibly one of the heaviest models you can have, being held first by the turret, and then, upside down by the base.

Note that the turret is secured to the hull by a tiny magnet and one of the larger magnets. And whats really nice is that the magnets are so smooth that with this combination you can still rotate the turret.

Heres a pic of a German Armored car with 1 or 2 of the tiny magnets glued to its hull, and a tiny magnet glued to the base. A tiny magnet holds to another tiny magnet just fine. I use the red dot to identify the pole.

Now, if you have the US MLRS, then you know that the launcher pack sits in a shallow ring on the bed of the transport. Its not meant to be rotated. But I found that one of the .156 magnets fits perfectly into the ring of the launcher pack.

Note, in this pic the launcher is held to the vehicle hull by the force of the two magnets through the hull itself securing the launcher pack to the hull and still allowing you to rotate it.

These are just the ways Ive been using these things. Im sure you guys will come up with even better ideas and techniques.

Like I said, I made my first purchases on eBay. There's a pile of guys selling them. I got the tiny magnets from www.kjmagnetics.com and the .156 magnets from some guy in Sedona (off eBay).

K&J was incredibly fast, and has a great website with an enormous selection. Ive ordered more from them. For our friends across the pond, there were a number of European sellers on eBay.

Ill tell you, Im sold on these things, though I warn you ahead of time. Trying to handle these babies can be like wrangling cats. They run all over the place sticking to anything that even looks like metal, so be prepared to have some toothpicks and other non-ferris tool thingies handy.

Good Luck

Last edited by 8ball on Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
cama
E5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the Rare Earth magnets are very cool. In the world of Games Workshop and the painting contests/tournaments, many of the very best have been using them for a few years now to create, for example, changeable weapons.

I think they are awesome too!
baineblade

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet now i can mount my tanks to bases and not have to worry. Thank you 8ball for the info. Just one question, how expensive are the magnets and where can I find the bases.
HMSDiomede
E5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Magnetic turrets Reply with quote

Thanks, 8ball. Makes more sense to me than "Tacky Turrets". I'll have to try some. Just need to remember not to set a large collection of micro too close to my computer, TV, etc.

David
cama
E5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baineblade wrote:
Sweet now i can mount my tanks to bases and not have to worry. Thank you 8ball for the info. Just one question, how expensive are the magnets and where can I find the bases.

They are not cheap, unless you can buy them on ebay.

In fact, the shipping was prohibitive from me getting any.

You can google rare earth magnets and find them.

Not sure if there are other brands... anyone?
8ball
E5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baineblade wrote:

If you go to K & J ( www.kjmagnetics.com ):

1/16" x 1/32" -- 100 for $5.50
1/8" x 1/16" -- 50 for $4.10

But you can order a range of quantities of each type. So, I think the prices are pretty reasonable. Other places might be cheaper.
paul
E5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Magnets Reply with quote

8ball thanks for the magnet tip. Have you tried it with CinC figs? I wonder if you could get by without having to drill an additional hole at the bottom?
chrisswim
E5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info, thank you. It appears to be quit appealing.
cama
E5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8ball wrote:
baineblade wrote:

If you go to K & J ( www.kjmagnetics.com ):

1/16" x 1/32" -- 100 for $5.50
1/8" x 1/16" -- 50 for $4.10

But you can order a range of quantities of each type. So, I think the prices are pretty reasonable. Other places might be cheaper.

Thanks 8ball!

That was a new source for me.
8ball
E5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Magnets Reply with quote

That's great cama, glad the link helped.

paul wrote:
8ball thanks for the magnet tip. Have you tried it with CinC figs? I wonder if you could get by without having to drill an additional hole at the bottom?

I haven't as of yet Paul. Though considring how CinC uses that sort of turret pedistal in the very wide turret ring, it seems to me that you might have to drill the turrets and perhaps the hulls to secure the turrets.

For basing CinC tanks have a solid hull which allows for little room under the tank. One way might be to glue a small magnet to the bottom of the tank, and use a ferris metal base material.

BTW, you guys might have noticed the grit all over the magnets in my pics. Well, I live in Phoenix and use sifted earth from my backyard for groundcover. Well, it seems that the desert dirt here is very rich in iron ore, so all my bases end up looking like that they're covered with fur. Laughing
saxophone
E5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I didn't understand the explanation, but if you use the magnets to hold
your turret, doesn't the magnet's polarity force your turret to face in only
one direction?
8ball
E5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. Good question.

The disk magnets are poled to the flat sides, so it's up and down. As long as you have all the disks (base-hull-turret) poled in the same direction. They will attract and hold everything together. You can swivel your turret all around because the poles are vertically alligned.

Does that explain it better?
saxophone
E5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<light bulb goes on> Yes, that explains it. Thanks. I went ahead and
ordered some magnets to try out. I think the ones I ordered are too large
for the turrets, but I am anxious to try it out for mounting to my stands.
Right now, I mount them to my stands using white glue which I can pry
off if I re-base. But the magnet method is more elegant. It also allow me
to use the same bases with different tanks.
8ball
E5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. I didn't show it, but I am able to use the same bases for the M1A2 Abrams as I am the M3 Stuarts -- can't get much more size variation than that.

I ordered a couple of different sizes last Friday. But I think the most versatile size is the tiny 1/16" by 1/32". It's small enough that you can use one in almost any situation, and you can gang them up too. I'm going to try to attaching them to AT Guns and Arty pieces.
jb
E5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey 8ball,that looks and sounds like a Capital idea Idea
I've immeadiately ordered some...and the price,sure why not.
Thanks for the idea..you da man!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: