Join GHQ's free e-mail list. Just enter your e-mail address and click on the Subscribe button. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

GHQ Models Forums
The Best Damn Wargaming Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Republic of Dalmatia Imagi-Nation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guroburov
E5

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. It was fun making the parts. Sadly I won't have much time in the coming weeks to finish the command truck. Too much adulting taking up my one day I get to work on toys.
redleg
E5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ROD Navy is very busy. At the DISCO (Dalmatian Shipbuilding Company), the carrier Vengeance and the cruiser Shepherd are still in dry dock having damage from the New Year War repaired. The Navy also received its first batch of new aircraft to replace combat losses. Replacing all 70 aircraft that were lost will take some time.

At Naval Station Saint Catherine, the 1st SHAM is preparing for its maiden voyage. 1st Security and Humanitarian Assistance Mission consists of two ships: a brand-new Wasp class LHD and a modified Whidbey Island class LSD that has been converted into a hospital ship. The ROD Navy has been working with the US Navy on the smaller hospital ship concept, and the ROD is testing the modified Whidbey Island platform. 1st SHAM will deploy in February with a composite helicopter squadron, a security company, an engineer company, and a field medical company.

Pictured below are the RODS Ares (LHD-26) and the RODS Odysseus (LSD/H-22). The Odysseus is still in her old-school dark gray paint, but she will be coming out of the water tomorrow to receive her new hospital white paint job.

Guroburov
E5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Wish my budget included naval units but that may be another year away as I look to aircraft first. I love the deck decal.
redleg
E5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the ships are pretty expensive! I have been experimenting with scratch building some ships, but there my modeling skills are not in alignment with the way I picture a scratch build in my mind! Still though, that was the only way I could get 6 enemy carriers for the recent naval war.

The flight deck decal is actually just a piece of regular printer paper! I made the deck on a powerpoint slide and then I just printed it out and glued it onto the model. Good enough for ROD standards! Same with the JFK class carriers. Now I can just change the number and reprint for the next ship!
MechCommander
E5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had a problem with the price of the ship models as I tend to order from GHQ one a Month and took advantage of the coupons they gave me. So far I'm churning out a decent sized RCN fleet out of the WW2 models, but still waiting for some Cold War and modern Canadian navy ships.
redleg
E5

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ROD 7th Armored Brigade began the tedious process of redeploying to the ROD today. Initially just 13th Tank and 19th Mech will redeploy along with artillery and support units. 28th Tank will remain in Mahishmati, attached to 2nd Armored Brigade. 2nd Fighter Wing is also redeploying with its F-16C and F-4E squadrons.

Remaining in Mahishmati is the reinforced 2nd Armored Brigade, elements of 4th Support Brigade, and 5th Fghter Wing (two F-16C squadrons and one F-4E squadron).

Pictured below are vehicles from 13th Tank being loaded on transport for movement to the port of Paruchabutr.

redleg
E5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st SHAM is scheduled to depart later this week so the troops are getting some last minute training in. Many of the personnel assigned to this unit are not familiar with operations of an amphibious nature, so they are practicing getting ashore without drowning.

MechCommander
E5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canada is looking into developing there own version of the RODs SHAM Program during the summer, but the question for the Royal Canadian Navy is what 2 ships to use for such a Program?
redleg
E5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ROD wanted a unit that could respond to humanitarian emergencies and they looked to the US Navy and US Marine Corps for inspiration. The USMC has MEUs cruising around that are often in a position to assist those in need after natural disasters or man-made drama. We wanted something along those lines, but dedicated to security and humanitarian operations.

We have also been following the discussions with the USN about replacements for the giant Mercy class hospital ships. This seemed to fit into our idea for the SHAM.

The types of ships will depend on the capabilities that you want. We intend to use helicopters quite heavily in the movement of personnel and supplies. In many disasters, road networks are disabled and helicopters are the only means of transporting significant numbers of people and supplies. The Wasp class LHD provides a large helicopter capacity as well as troop space. Converting a Whidbey Island class LSD into a hospital ship provides the medical support on a scale that we want, but it isn't a lumbering giant of a ship. Since the SHAM does not include combat troops and armored vehicles (except a few LAVs for security missions) we can get by with 2 ships.

What capabilities does Canada want and how big do they want to go?

If the SHAM units work out, the ROD would like to have several, and have them stationed abroad so that they can respond more quickly to emergencies.

Winning hearts and minds!
MechCommander
E5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Royal Canadian Navy does make use of Helicopters in the form of Sea knights and Sea Kings so we need a good vessel to carry such helicopters with. as for hospital ships we have converted liners provided by the Canadian Pacific Steamship company such as the HMCHS Empress of Australia or HMCHS Empress of Scotland.
redleg
E5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st SHAM departed from Naval Station Saint Catherine this morning on its maiden voyage. They are heading to South America first to provide vaccinations and preventive medical clinics, though they will be able to provide additional assistance if warranted and needed. Basically, 1st SHAM is following the time-honored ROD tradition of making it up as they go along.

Here are the Ares and Odysseus steaming south-east, just outside of ROD territorial waters.

MechCommander
E5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which part of South America is the SHAM fleet going? As in a report made by the frigate HMCS Edmonton of local pirate attacks near Brazil and Chile. And to expect ships from the pirate Goverment of tortuga to intercept and raid any vessels exiting the Panama Can-al.
chrisswim
E5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Those damn pirates... they rape, pillage, & plunder. Thats what they did to several ships of the Royal Canadian Navy and their crew. It was sad.
MechCommander
E5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just Canadian ships but ships from various nations as well, they mostly target Civilan ships but attacks on navy ships can happen mainly just to steal the warship to add to there ever growing fleet.
redleg
E5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warning. We're just making it up as we go along, but perhaps we will make a point of visiting Brazil and Chile. Killing same pirates seems like it falls into the realm of humanitarian assistance. One of our ships is a hospital ship, but the Ares is a fully functional warship with a full complement of military helicopters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 20 of 40

Jump to: