Join GHQ's free e-mail list. Just enter your e-mail address and click on the Subscribe button. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

GHQ Models Forums
The Best Damn Wargaming Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
My house fire
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nashorn88
E5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: My house fire Reply with quote

Hey guys
My house caught fire last week.
Everyone including my cat is safe. Insurance company will consider them a total loss due to smoke.
Clean each is more then cost of replacement. Think it cam out to $3-5 each
Iím going try to work out a deal with insurance company to keep what I can.

Fire started in the furnace. Itís a old model that has a pilot light I am built in 1948 supposedly rock solid.

In regards to miniatures there is a silver lining since I have a replacement cost insurance so theoretically I can re-purchase everything
Micro armor Iím thinking I have 20,000+
they were also inventory items so at least Iíll know what I have and loss Sad

Hmm.... wonder if ghq will give a deal if I purchase that many in one order. Lol
But that not going to happen since it the time of gluing on barrels painting etc

A word of advice for everyone else

- get your self monitored smoke detectors we had NON-smoke detectors and monitor alarm/ fire system and only useful if someone reacts to them.
-Check your insurance coverage since we didnít even know what we had luckily it was enough for structure and content of house.
-We were also lucky that very little content actually burnt to nothing and insurance should be able to inventory everything in the house. If you donít have pictures and documentation you could lose more than half of the value of content since you have no proof for the insurance company

- if you have a pet make sure to get signs on your doors indicating that you have a pet we were lucky our neighbor was in front of our house and we told them to tell the fireman to rescue our cat
madman
E5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so glad you and your family (bipeds and quads) are OK. My house would need more signs than doors! Good luck to you on dealing with insurance. For me car insurers have been easier people to deal with than life insurers.

Stephen
StarCruiser
E5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - things can be replaced - family can't (includes the little furry members).

Good to know you are safe!
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that the thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion." - Programmer's Mantra
panzergator
E5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Machine

Very sorry to hear this. Can't imagine the impact of this personal disaster.

Glad you and yours are safe. That is most important.

Jim
redleg
E5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that you lost so much stuff, but at least it was just stuff and your family is safe.
BurtWolf
E5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man- glad youíre safe and family is ok. Hate to hear if the things you lost but hopefully most of it is replaceable.

I have a smoke detector directly over my dehumidifier btw, you should read about the failure rate and propensity for those suckers to catch fire. Another thing I always check for are looose plug connections in outlets as this sort of high resistance connection can/will lead to fires. Lastly, you get what you pay for. A while back they were selling cheap extension cords, and somebody open one up and found that the conductors were actually steel and not copper which is a total fire hazard.

Hope the recovery efforts go well, good luck nashorn
BurtWolf
E5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man- glad youíre safe and family is ok. Hate to hear if the things you lost but hopefully most of it is replaceable.

I have a smoke detector directly over my dehumidifier btw, you should read about the failure rate and propensity for those suckers to catch fire. Another thing I always check for are looose plug connections in outlets as this sort of high resistance connection can/will lead to fires. Lastly, you get what you pay for. A while back they were selling cheap extension cords, and somebody open one up and found that the conductors were actually steel and not copper which is a total fire hazard.

BurtWolf
E5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurtWolf
E5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the multiple postings...
E5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the fire I hope the recovery is not too traumatic and drawn out.
I started cleaning some of the crap out of my basement, the furnace room will be first!

The pile of opened and empty GHQ packs is a concern.
Guroburov
E5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks Nashorn. I'm glad you're all safe. I mean it's great you can get replacement stuff and have the fun of cleaning, priming and painting again but that's a lot of work. And the loss of everything else. Buying new everything will take time.
shawno
E5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the fire. Glad you are all ok (including the cat)

Here's hoping brighter times are around the corner for you.

Cheers
cama
E5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the fire, glad everyone is ok!
Hoth_902
E5

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad everyone is safe.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/
dalewill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most import thing is that you and everyone else is safe. If you are okay THEN EVERYTHING IS OKAY. Stuff, even the important gaming stuff, can be replace. January 18, 2011 my house burnt down too. You quickly learn what is important and what you don't need. I realized a lot of my gaming stuff I was keeping for no reason. Hadn't played it in decades. Didn't replace that and moved into new areas that I would play often.

In the 8+ years we build a better house. I now have a dedicated gaming room. Very Happy

Good luck and it will get better.

Dale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: