Join GHQ's free e-mail list. Just enter your e-mail address and click on the Subscribe button. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

GHQ Models Forums
The Best Damn Wargaming Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
playing WW2 Italians Post 1943 (capitulation)?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BurtWolf
E5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: playing WW2 Italians Post 1943 (capitulation)? Reply with quote

Just inquiring is anyone has played with Italians post 1943? I grabbed up some GHQ P40 tanks, and subsequently learned they were only used by the germans after Italy capitulated. Just wondering if/how people use them in their games, what sources there may be for OOB information, etc.

I managed to bust off two barrels while scrubbing off the old paint job, so I may have just invented a couple of artillery observation vehicles....

Thanks in advanced.
chatto
E5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting way to do things would be to a 'what if' regarding the Italians. The original plan was to have P.40's mixed with either Panthers or Panzer IVs, not quite sure which, before the Italian capitulation and subsequent breakup into Allied and Axis sides.

As for the P.40, the broken barrel ones open the option to use them as models carrying Kwk24 cannons, a few fixed position turrets had the KwK24 fitted when no Italian guns were available - in your version they could be infantry support tanks working alongside the 'gun tanks'! Smile

OOB wise in reality, the Germans used very few of them, the only real operational examples were used by anti-partisan forces - although there was a one-off incident where they accounted for themselves well against advancing British forces.

http://www.comandosupremo.com/forums/topic/240-p-40-tank-in-combat/
http://beutepanzer.ru/Beutepanzer/italy/tanks/P40/p40-2.htm

Something you may find useful for specifics if it helps Smile
http://www.comandosupremo.com/rsitank.html
BurtWolf
E5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chatto!! I appreciate the links, and may go with your suggestion. I found some good pics and a couple of unit references at

http://beutepanzer.ru/Beutepanzer/italy/tanks/P40/p40-1.htm

Wasn't really anticipating gaming late Italy ww2 but may prove to be interesting. I bought a bunch of italian trucks that I plan to put into Wehrmacht service.
BurtWolf
E5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chatto!! I appreciate the links, and may go with your suggestion. I found some good pics and a couple of unit references at

http://beutepanzer.ru/Beutepanzer/italy/tanks/P40/p40-1.htm

Wasn't really anticipating gaming late Italy ww2 but may prove to be interesting. I bought a bunch of italian trucks that I plan to put into Wehrmacht service.
chatto
E5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you would find the RSI forces to be particularly interesting... I know I did when I first read about them. Mostly because, like all smaller 'axis partners' they are so hard to find anything about!

The good part is that you can, for the most part, use just normal German troops, as they were equipped with the same sort of personal equipment... mix in a few odd Italian MGs for good measure.

Most of their main equipment was Italian kit as per the website - I usually just follow Flames Of War LW Italy RSI force composition for my WW2 kit Smile
sultanbev
E5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a late 1943 6mm Italian army, with Tigers, Semovente 105/25 and so on.
There is a speculative TOE for an Armoured Cavalry Division in the MicroMark collection.

Mark
BurtWolf
E5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sultanbev. Between you and chatto I am now standing up a late war Italian group. I was fixated on Stalingrad, east front, Hungarians, Italians etc. but this has got me rethinking (at least the Italians)!!!

I am going with typical German camo patterns - is this what you did?

To be honest, I am really intrigued with doing some stuff related to Sicily invasion as well. Thanks again guys!!!
BurtWolf
E5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sultanbev. Between you and chatto I am now standing up a late war Italian group. I was fixated on Stalingrad, east front, Hungarians, Italians etc. but this has got me rethinking (at least the Italians)!!!

I am going with typical German camo patterns - is this what you did?

To be honest, I am really intrigued with doing some stuff related to Sicily invasion as well. Thanks again guys!!!
chatto
E5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dude! Glad to hear we helped! Smile

Sorry for the late reply though! Camo wise, if you're willing to risk it for the biscuit, the Italian vehicles were actually given a mix of different paints jobs... but for the most part a number of them served with their original Italian camo designs - as the Germans literally just kept production lines going for what they could build.

Some would be well off in the base colour yellow, some a brown yellow-patches mix, whereas others would be yellow with green patches, and finally you have their really intricate pattern as well.

Basically, go with what you like! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: