Join GHQ's free e-mail list. Just enter your e-mail address and click on the Subscribe button. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

GHQ Models Forums
The Best Damn Wargaming Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
New aircraft carrier
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piersyf
E5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a step back from this thread, but glad to see some semblance of normality returning.
I understand (better than you might think) that there are some sensitivities over politics in the US at the moment, so calm is always welcome.
To respond to 2 points, though:

The rubber duck was a reference to naming a Carrier the USS Donald. I'd have done the same for anyone called Donald (sorry Don), it's just too good an image to pass up.

Secondly, no I never wrote for my high school paper. I did write my Master's thesis on politics and policy, and at what point a government should be aware that a policy position is no longer viable. I did well enough to be invited back as a lecturer.
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said my good sir and good to see a fellow Aussie back on this forum.
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW how go you like my new qoute of the day Very Happy
I showed this thread to few people at work............thre was a lot of head shaking .
panzergator
E5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us here in the US have had our fill of both candidates, the media, and the "process." For some of us, it has nothing to do with who won or who lost,. It's just so deep here that even one person sticking his finger into the pool increases the depth to just above our desperate nostrils. Under those circumstances, some reaction is predictable.
piersyf
E5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, and I certainly don't want to make waves for you all, standing on your toes as you are. A lot of countries around the world are looking at their political processes right now, the US being just the latest. How that pans out is best left to those countries to sort out... after all it is their country.
Personally, I have only taken issue with 2 comments so far;

"As I would not venture to comment on your internal politics on this forum perhaps you should show the same regard"

our currency has lost 2% value since Tuesday, and our stock market has crashed. I doubt that would make the news in the US, but to say that the US election is 'internal politics' is, to put it politely, naive.

that this forum is free of politics. Maybe re-read the 'imagination' threads with the views of an outsider... the thread is full of politcal subtext. I'm not being critical, I've even posted occasionally, just saying.

I hope you can all stay afloat. I actually think quite fondly of the US.
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is it................ lets bury the rubber duck incident.
I don't think i'll be posting here anymore although i love the GHQ miniatures.
Found another forum that i might give a go.
You have to constantly double check your post so that someone will not get offended or worst still gets offended on behalf of someone else.....too old for it and can spend the time better somewhere else.
Just be carefull guys that your sensibilities don't get in the way of actually having some meaningful discussions or there wont be any topics left for you or anyone brave enough to tackle them.
One last observation:
It never fails to amuse me how an American will on one hand tell you about freedom, liberty for all , first amendment and all that jezz while on the other hand he will cheerfully shut you down when or if your view are not his views.
Was that last statment political? sorry about that

Fireball over and out.
microgeorge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireball, no one here wishes you to leave. Just remember that your Free Speech is liable to be countered by someone else's Free Speech. You can't expect no counterpunching when you're in the ring. That's just how it works. That is what most Americans understand, or used to.
dougeagle
E5

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireball wrote:
Well that is it................ lets bury the rubber duck incident.
I don't think i'll be posting here anymore although i love the GHQ miniatures.
Found another forum that i might give a go.
You have to constantly double check your post so that someone will not get offended or worst still gets offended on behalf of someone else.....too old for it and can spend the time better somewhere else.
Just be carefull guys that your sensibilities don't get in the way of actually having some meaningful discussions or there wont be any topics left for you or anyone brave enough to tackle them.
One last observation:
It never fails to amuse me how an American will on one hand tell you about freedom, liberty for all , first amendment and all that jezz while on the other hand he will cheerfully shut you down when or if your view are not his views.
Was that last statment political? sorry about that

Fireball over and out.

Shouldn't have to leave. We are all adults on here, or should be. If anyone gets offended by it, tough s**t, that's they're problem...or just mosey on past it and go to another thread...plain and simple.

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.
Bruce Lee
jaxenro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like naming ships after presidents especially if they were alive in the last 100 years. I collect U.S. coins and I feel the same I don't like presidents on coins. Before the Lincoln penny it was usually variations of liberty as a female then the Lincoln penny, Jefferson nickel, Roosevelt dime, etc.

Ships should be named after admirals, sailors, historical ship, and places
33YearsGHQ
E5

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaxenro wrote:
I don't like naming ships after presidents especially if they were alive in the last 100 years. I collect U.S. coins and I feel the same I don't like presidents on coins. Before the Lincoln penny it was usually variations of liberty as a female then the Lincoln penny, Jefferson nickel, Roosevelt dime, etc.

Ships should be named after admirals, sailors, historical ship, and places

I totally agree, no politicians at all
panzergator
E5

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireball,

I don't think you should leave. Neither do I think you should object when you find yourself hoist with your own petard. You needled. People needled back. You didn't get flamed, as you would have most boards. None of us can see your tongue in your cheek, nor can you see ours. Freedom of speech applies both ways. In fact, I think it's rather poor sportsmanship for you to take offense. Here in the US, we arm both fencers, whether saber or word, for a reason.
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you Guys misunderstood
Actually i would welcome some heated discussion.
But what always seems to happen is that you get shut down,
Example "We don"t discuss this here" or That's too politacal or ........ insert your bugbear here.
Eventually the thread gets taken down.
Now if you read the posts no one got stuck into me but what annoyed me was that such a harmless topic was judged to be so offensive.
Well let me run this by you, what if i posted:
"Hey guys now that Trump is running the show and his protectionist attitute do you think thta finally we might get a replacement to the M1 MBT?"
This would be comdemed as too political by some i"m sure.
There is too much how sall i put it....... emphasis on staying politically correct and on protecting everybody against everybody else.
As my Grandfather would say (he fought the Germas on a horseback with a sabre) Smile
Snap out of it son and grow some balls.
I mean are we kids here (appologies to the youngest members of the forum)
I don"t advocate abuse or extreme rudness but i"m sure we can deal with someone taking the Mickey (is that the expression?) or even talking a bit of politics , remeber that politics and military are always interlaced.
Now Gentelmen i don"t want to refer to Adolf Hitler as the "Vegeterian One" because it might upset someone thats all I"m saying.
Ohh and Panzergator if instead of saying "so much for politicaly free forum" (I'm paraphrasing here)
You said " At least we got our 45th president - how many have you had?"
I would tip my hat to your good sir? Wink
I can see that you are reaching an indisputable conclussion my fellow wargamers and that is
Good God, make the ** CENSORED ** stay we can:t afford to loose such an outstanding contributor to the forum, one not excacly politicaly correct.
So whats it gonna be?
Give me some rope here and i promise not to abuse it.........too much Very Happy

BTW i"m keeping that Duck qoute ... so deal with it Smile
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seee what i mean!!!
CENSORED
That CENSORED bit was ..........what one might described illegitimate son... starts with B
Smile
Guroburov
E5

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just the language filter to protect the little **CENSORED** Laughing
jaxenro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think the original post was out of line it wasn't Trump good or Trump bad it was a play on Donald

I don't like imperial presidents from either party Washington didn't become a king so none of the rest should so we need to be able to poke fun at them

But then again when you have colleges in the US handing out play dough and coloring books and canceling tests to deal with the trauma of the election you would think the country needs to grow up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: