Join GHQ's free e-mail list. Just enter your e-mail address and click on the Subscribe button. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

GHQ Models Forums
The Best Damn Wargaming Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Napoleonic 1/1200

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgpanzer
E5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Napoleonic 1/1200 Reply with quote

Hello,

Im doing some research on napoleonic 1/1200 ships and I reviewed the forums here but I am unable to find any information. What is the real difference between the full and battle sails?can they be used together? I noticed some ships in the catalog have no nationality stated. I am thinking perhaps generic ships for any nationality?

Thanks
StarCruiser
E5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have to do your research primarily on sailing ships themselves - in general.

Basically "battle sail" means that the courses (the lower sails on the masts) are furled up to their spars to keep them clear of the blast of the guns and reducing the chance of fire.

It does reduce the power available when maneuvering the ships but, wooden ships and fire don't mix well...

Full sail simply means that the courses are deployed for more speed.

Yes, you can certainly mix them as one fleet might have all sails out to gain on the other, or run from the other.
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that the thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion." - Programmer's Mantra
kgpanzer
E5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SC,

Thanks for the clarification
RedLeif
E5

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The models without 'nationality' indicators are the small ships of the era and the '18 gun brig' for example could be found in the ports of several countries as a 'sloop o war or a merchant vessel.
GHQ
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starcruiser and RedLeif have explained it perfectly. In addition, ships were often captured and used by other nations.

GHQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: