Join GHQ's free e-mail list. Just enter your e-mail address and click on the Subscribe button. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

GHQ Models Forums
The Best Damn Wargaming Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
T-72 turret MG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Extra Crispy
E5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: T-72 turret MG Reply with quote

Okay I'm stumped. Where or how do you glue the turret MG to the model on the T-72? The picture in the catalog is not really much help.
BattlerBritain
E5

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to post a reply and getting DB error.

Let's see if this works...

Right, I'd typed a nice detailed reply only for the GHQ Website DB to die and eat my reply Confused Slightly annoying!

So I'll try again:

If you look at the mg at the quiet end there are often two bumps, sometimes just one bump.

Depending on how good the moulding is the mg can sometimes have a box on it that I think is meant to the IR sight sometimes seen on Dshka's.

You need the other bump that's a bit rounded.

On the turret commander's cupola you'll need really good eyes to spot a really tiny hole at the front of the cupola. That's where the bump goes.

Try a dry run test fit first to see if it fits. I often tease the hole out a bit more as it's best for gluing if the mechanical fit is good.

Then you need a lot of luck in the gluing. I usually just put a drop of super glue in the hole on the cupola and then try and get the bump to glue.

I usually end up with fingers glued or tweezers stuck together with an mg in between them and a turret top covered in glue.

Sometimes it works, the mg sticks and it stays vertical.

Most if the time the mg slowly rolls over and sticks itself firmly to the turret lying on it's side.

So good luck Smile
chatto
E5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That isn't a bad way to do it, but like you said it does sometimes fall to the side.

In my time I have found the best way to make it work is the following:

1. Use a THICK Cyano-glue, nothing else stands up to this

2. Give a VERY light lick of paint to the two areas you want to glue together, this gives your glue both more surface area to mix with, and the mix of glue/paint solidifies quicker than glue alone.

3. Put the turret upside down between things so that gravity helps keep the MG in place! Smile
BattlerBritain
E5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang the turret upside down.

Doh! Why didn't I think of that? Smile
chatto
E5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you still have to hold it for a little while! Depends on the glue. Thick glue is all I use and I can pretty much put it there with the paint/glue mix and have it sit upside down straight away. I know it will fall off with thinner glue types!
Bruce Morris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used small wads of modeling clay to hold small pieces in place and then applying the CA glue with a sewing needle with the end of the eye cut off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: