Join GHQ's free e-mail list. Just enter your e-mail address and click on the Subscribe button. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

GHQ Models Forums
The Best Damn Wargaming Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Vallejo Colors for MERDC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pvt64
E5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Vallejo Colors for MERDC Reply with quote

Gents,
I have several US miniatures that I need to do in a MERDC scheme and am having trouble finding the correct colors in the old paint lines that I have used in the past. As Vallejo is much more available what colors from their line do you all suggest?
Dog Smack
E5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey pvt64,

I'm assuming you are looking at doing the Winter Verdant variant of MERDC, here is what I use for that version:

Forest Green: German Fieldgrey (830)
Field Drab: Field Drab (873)
Sand: Iraqi Sand (819)
Black: German Grey (995)

I have also used US Dark Green (893) as well.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WYRjC8]

Steve
pvt64
E5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: MERDC Reply with quote

Thanks Dog!
panzergator
E5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dog Smack! That MERDC is VERY well done!
Dog Smack
E5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pvt64 - no problem!

panzergator - thanks! Appreciate the kind words.

Steve
Hoth_902
E5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG !!!! Dog Smack. Those look amazing. I am serious, I have always been a big fan of the MERDC scheme and yours look incredible. I just hope when I attempt mine, they come out just as good. Please post more of your work.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/
Dog Smack
E5

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoth_902,

Here is what I currently have on flickr. I have a few more vehicles than this but no pics at the moment. Enjoy!

IMG_1575

IMG_1576

IMG_1541

Steve
pvt64
E5

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: MERDC Reply with quote

Outstanding work!
Hoth_902
E5

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dog Smack,

Those are an inspiration. I have about 10 Bradleys that I am dying to do in the MERDC scheme. Once I burn through some of my other vehicles, maybe I will give them a crack and see if I can't do a passable job. The vehicles that you have posted are just beautiful. I particularly like how the M60s look a little bit duller than the scheme on the M113s.. Did you do anything different or is it just a different color between the two vehicles types.

I know some of my Russian stuff is way to bright and out of the factory looking. Work in progress. Fortunately none of my vehicles have been sealed with a clear coat, so they should be strip-able if I find my painting skills have improved.

Thanks for sharing, and I would love to see the other vehicles.

Dog Smack
E5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoth_902,

Thanks again! The M60s were painted with the same colors as the M113s. The difference is after I sealed them I gave the vehicle an overall wash of black. This dulled the overall color as well as made it darker. I no longer use this technique because i feel as though it makes the vehicle too dark. I now use a pin wash technique where i only apply the wash to certain raised and detailed areas of the vehicle.

If you feel that your vehicles are too bright you might try an overall wash. It may dull the color down to more of your liking.

I'll see if I can get some more pictures up.

Steve
Hoth_902
E5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dog Smack,

Thanks for the tips. Applying a wash is the next thing I am going to attempt. I am assuming that when you did the wash, it was over a clear dull coat? A friend of mine that does larger scale models has recommended me to use a gloss clear coat that is stronger than the wash that will applied. Such as using and enamel gloss coat with and acrylic wash. This would allow the wash to go into the detail and then you can whip away the wash on the flat surfaces without whipping away the paint below the wash. He then recommended to then seal it off with a clear dull coat. I am going to attempt this step soon.

Please post a few more pictures. Thanks again for the pictures and tips.

Dog Smack
E5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoth_902,

Yes the M60s were given a wash over a dull varnish. I do not use dull varnish until the end now. A wash on dull varnish can cause staining depending on the type of wash you use. I now coat my minis with a gloss varnish and then do the wash just as your friend does. At the end I coat the mini with a dull varnish to get a nice flat finish.

And some pics:

M1 Abrams and M2 Bradley sporting MERDC. The Light Green came out too bright in my opinion but it was a first go. I modeled off of some pictures from the early 80s at Ft. Knox.

M60A3 in Grey Desert MERDC following a M113 in Grey Desert, except the Field Green is shown instead of Field Drab. The hex a practice piece for different techniques as I have been trying, but since it is desert it seems appropriate.

Steve
Hoth_902
E5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dog Smack,

OMG!!! I am seriously digging your work. Your pics are making me want to do my early Bradley's in some of the same patterns. I need to get my airbrush issues resolved, but when I do, I am going to do some vehicles up all pretty like. I really like the M60 and its also one of my favorite tanks of all time.

Your process is exactly what my buddy suggested. He told me to do Gloss clear coat for before wash and then the dull coat. He said that the Gloss coat helps the decal to sit better and reduce silvering. Then he seals the decal with another gloss coat. He said the gloss coat over the decal helps hide the edge of the decal because it bevels the edge. Then after you do the wash and follow up with a dull coat, it will dull out the decal and of course everything else. Glad to see the results of that method at this scale.

Thanks so much for sharing some additional pictures. Love to see anything you do.

Mike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: