Join GHQ's free e-mail list. Just enter your e-mail address and click on the Subscribe button. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

GHQ Models Forums
The Best Damn Wargaming Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
How Deep is Your Pile of Pewter?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BurtWolf
E5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: How Deep is Your Pile of Pewter? Reply with quote

I bought some GHQ packs recently and put them into the storage locker (an old fridge in the basement - crisper Drawers used for aircraft and extra packs I do nt intend to paint, freezer for buildings, main shelves for unopened minis, meat drawer for styrene bits and pieces). It dawned on me that I should really do a once over and check out what I had waiting to be painted etc. Figure yíall might have the same affliction but I was surprised at the surplus I had generated. Granted it has been over a few years ... But Easily 60 packs I want to paint, another 10 or so I donít care too much about, and about 250 loose pieces that are in line to be refurbished (old eBay buys that may get turned into wrecked vehicle markers). Plus 30 pieces on the bench top in various stages of painting...

And yet there I was this morning doing my wish list for my next order - HA!

So how bad is your backlog?!?
cama
E5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all! Presently working on my sale order delivery, so maybe a dozen packs deep? I have made a commitment that "THIS TIME I WON'T BE LIKE BEFORE" and actually paint everything before getting more.

This extends to the other orders I have out from other companies. I space them out so that there are - GASP - dead days on my painting table! It's UNNATURAL. Laughing
Guroburov
E5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a huge push a couple of years ago and painted all my stuff. My GHQ stuff. Very Happy My non GHQ pile is thousands deep. My wishlist for GHQ is also huge but that's for the future.
PolishGI
E5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably have about 14 packs waiting to be started/finished. I have a large-ish box full of North Afrika stuff to get to as well. No idea what is in that box. Will post pics when I get to it.

I actually did not pull the trigger on the latest GHQ sale for fear of ordering stuff I already haveÖ A rather large missed opportunity on my part. Not happy.
E5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unopened packs, not too bad. just a few since I have a bad habit of opening them right away when I get them.

Untouched clean pewter, again not too bad maybe 5 dozen at the moment.

Started painting but not finished by no means what I call usable.....hundreds.
billb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recently ordered a dozen packs of various vehicles. All other vehicles painted at this time. Still have thousands of figures for periods from ancients to FPW to paint.
billb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recently ordered a dozen packs of various vehicles. All other vehicles painted at this time. Still have thousands of figures for periods from ancients to FPW to paint.
MechCommander
E5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still got bits from the Micronauts ships along with the BattleTech stuff in a bin somewhere.
BurtWolf
E5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have to start painting, and stop surfing the Internet to buy these things. Part of my hangup is that I have a substantial amount of infantry, but I really donít enjoy painting them. I would love to be able to get the quality that Polish had on his recent postings, but it takes me forever and I donít even get close. But you need them for gaming purposes, so I paint them for a while, and then donít touch them for for five months. Hoping that Polish will sneak into my workshop and finish them for me ha ha.
rct75001
E5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered for a while whether I would post on here ... but here goes. I am embarrassed to say that it is probably 400-500 GHQ packs across WWII, Modern and naval both WWI and WWII.

To this though is added 10s of 1,000s of 6mm Napoleonic and then thousands of others.
panzergator
E5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all of us with hundreds of thousands of shiny, silver vehicles... Can you say "SPRAY PAINT?"

First, a large tub of hot soapy water followed by a warm rinse.

Second, nails in 2x4s, deep enough so you can place the vehicles in the mail head with tracks or wheels resting on the board.

Third, spray primer. Your choi ce, white or black. I like white. Keep it light.

Fourth, spray base color. Modern US - medium green or desert sand. USAREUR 74-77 -sand. For example.

Recommend a day between priming and base coat. Let the base coat test two days, then decide if you need a second base coat.

After drying/curing, you can add the camo pattern, washes, etc, and detail.

You can have many 2x4s prepared to provide a worthwhile painting session. Pick a nice day, no wind. Get it all done so you can spend rainy/snowy days in pattern and detail. I like to do that during Saturday football games or weekends when my wife finds the Hallmark channel (those movies are NOT meant to be watched by men!)

Recommend plastic trays for painting candidates.and completed vehicles. I put a fine grain sandpaper on the floor of the tray to keep the vehicles from sliding around in the tray bottom.

Recommend nails with a broad enough head to fit the vehicle snugly.
PolishGI
E5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="BurtWolf"]Well I have to start painting, and stop surfing the Internet to buy these things. Part of my hangup is that I have a substantial amount of infantry, but I really donít enjoy painting them. I would love to be able to get the quality that Polish had on his recent postings, but it takes me forever and I donít even get close. But you need them for gaming purposes, so I paint them for a while, and then donít touch them for for five months. Hoping that Polish will sneak into my workshop and finish them for me ha ha.[/quote

We can figure out something Burt!

How much or many infantry do you have? Agreed, not the most exciting thing to do, but necessary.
PolishGI
E5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rct75001 wrote:
I considered for a while whether I would post on here ... but here goes. I am embarrassed to say that it is probably 400-500 GHQ packs across WWII, Modern and naval both WWI and WWII.

To this though is added 10s of 1,000s of 6mm Napoleonic and then thousands of others.

Haha. I can see the reluctance. Uh... while impressive... i think you need to get moving. Haha

what do you do for storage? Haha
rct75001
E5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PolishGI wrote:
rct75001 wrote:

Haha. I can see the reluctance. Uh... while impressive... i think you need to get moving. Haha

what do you do for storage? Haha

I did fail to say that there are close to 2,000 already painted in 6mm across WWII and Modern (although not all GHQ). Any many other across a range of scales. I am about half way through the 6mm Napoleonic.

Storage of the unpainted - I turned to Ikea - love their plastic storage tubs. While I was sorting it all out I inventoried it. I have saved many hundreds of dollars in ďimpulseĒ purchases that were not followed through because I spent the 30 seconds to check the inventory.

Collecting for my retirement is how I look at this.
BurtWolf
E5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rct you got everybody beat!! That seems like a lot but maybe you will get it done once you retire...!!

I like to he idea of spray painting at least the primer. My only fear - Does it come out clumpy??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: