Join GHQ's free e-mail list. Just enter your e-mail address and click on the Subscribe button. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

GHQ Models Forums
The Best Damn Wargaming Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Japanese Fleet Carriers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:02 am    Post subject: Japanese Fleet Carriers Reply with quote

Ok
As i mentioned on my previous post i will put all my energies towards pacific war project. So today let’s talk Japanese carrier operational aircraft capacity.
The key word here is operational as opposed to maximum.
In this article we will be dealing with the 6 japanese fleet carriers present at Pearl Harbour.
The Japanese organized their carrier borne aircraft into squadrons of 18 or 27 planes although squadrons of 21 planes were not uncommon.
The aircraft used were
A6M2 carrier fighters D3A1 carrier bombers B5N2 carrier attack planes
Now i have in my safe keeping an extensive library on the pacific war with a number of volumes dealing with carrier warfare....... and here is where the problem starts.
Each book gives you a different value for the number of aircraft carried i have narrowed it down to two set of numbers for each carrier.
So the most common set of values for Shokaku class is 72 or 84 aircraft carried and conversely for Soryu class 63 or 71.
Ok so internet to the rescue....... again same set of values depending on the site that you visit..... what the hell.
Then it hit me, some sites mentioned the word “operational” with the lower value and after more research i had it!!!
The lower number states the number of aircraft that can be called into action immediately the higher number represents aircraft in a state of disassembly that can be readied to replace loses but it takes hours to put them together.
Once i had this Eureka moment i run up to my wife and planted a big kiss on her lips.........she enquired if i’m taking any illicit substances.
For the purpose of my game i will be dealing with the lower number, the operational complement ( maybe in the future i will incorporate the aircraft in storage but for now this will do)
So to the good part now.. i will give each of the carriers an operational number of aircraft and if anyone finds fault with it speak up or forever hold your peace.
Soryu class 63 operational aircraft
Note: usually 18 of each type was carried + 3 A6M2 for Cap duties making it 57 but 21 of each was also used so 63 set in stone.
Hiryu class 64 operational aircraft
Note: Since i will be dealing with 3 aircraft per chit or counter i will settle on 63 like Soryu.
Shokaku class (Second unit Zuikaku) 72 operational aircraft.
Note: Usual complement 18 A6M2 , 27 D3A1, 27 B5N2 so 72
Kaga class 72 operational aircraft
Note: Kaga had a max capacity of 90 aircraft but 18 of those were in storage, so 72 set in stone.
Complement as in Shokaku class 18 A6M2 , 27 D3A1, 27 B5N2
Akagi class ( The Red Castle) 72 operational aircraft
Note: this carrier being my favoured gave me the most trouble, anywhere you look it gives 63 operational aircraft, 21 of each type.
It was so at Pearl Harbor, it was so at Midway and i was in despair ... i mean my best carrier same size as Kaga and 63!!!!!!!!!! I was almost tearing my hair out when my wife walked in and said “So you taking downers now?”
Another Eureka moment i found it!!!!!!!!!!!! Indian Ocean Raid complement for Akagi
27 A6M2 , 18 D3A1, 27 B5N2 so 72
Set in stone Akagi 72 aircraft.

Next time we will consider the 5 USA carriers .
Thank You

Uncle Fireball
StarCruiser
E5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have this well thought out (whiskey not accounted for, of course)!
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that the thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion." - Programmer's Mantra
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe yes this was my moment of clarity next up are US carriers and then data cards so stay tuned
panzergator
E5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moment of CLARITY, Fireball? Did you REALLY have real moment of clarity? Now THAT we must celebrate with three fingers of whiskey!

Oh, wait. There would go the clarity...
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA HA HA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: