Join GHQ's free e-mail list. Just enter your e-mail address and click on the Subscribe button. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

GHQ Models Forums
The Best Damn Wargaming Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Does anyone know

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Does anyone know Reply with quote

I have purchased 3 hornet aircraft carriers from GHQ few years back.
The thinking was to model the Yorktown, hornet and Enterprise , i did not go for the CV6 Enterprise because it is the 1944 version and my game will cover the period up to the end of 1942.
Now we have CV5 Yorktown early war appearance so my question is stick with the original idea and use my 3 hornets or buy the Yorktown.
How different are they i mean will some one say " Uncle Fireball you old ** CENSORED ** that's not a Yorktown its Hornet?
If any one has purchased both help.

FB
StarCruiser
E5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three sisters were never completely identical but... At the time of Midway, there wasn't enough difference between them to really matter at such a small scale (I know - BLASPHEMY!!!).

I would buy the Yorktown since the first two sisters were very similar until after Yorktown was lost (Enterprise being the only survivor of the class - and extensively modified in '43). Hornet did have some differences in her flight deck shape and island but, I don't think that's all that noticeable at 1/2400.

If you can get one of these books:

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/books-plans/warship-pictorial/wp-09/wp-09.html

Lots of nice photos of the class - along with some drawings. Squadron also put out a fairly nice book years ago but, not easy to find now...
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that the thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion." - Programmer's Mantra
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Starcruiser
That's what i wanted to know
If you like PM with your email address i will send a naval rule set your way

FB
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW who's gonna buy the extra Hornet from me?
panzergator
E5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hornet was actually a little smaller than the other two.
chrisswim
E5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to sink it, then take some pictures after 70 years. They found the USS Hornet in the Coral Sea.
StarCruiser
E5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panzergator wrote:
Hornet was actually a little smaller than the other two.

I believe you are thinking about Wasp. She was built to a smaller design to use "excess tonnage" per the Washington/London Naval Treaties. Not much better than the Ranger as a fleet carrier.
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that the thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion." - Programmer's Mantra
panzergator
E5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starcruiser, you are correct. Thank you. I was wondering why they would chose the smaller career to use for the Doolittle mission... And it was because I got the names mixed up. Glad you caught my error.
militumman74

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Does anyone know Reply with quote

To me the most obvious difference is the bridge shape on the island, all three distinctively different. Enterprise had a rounded upper bridge over a small Squamish one. Yorktown had a Large squared bridge. I ordered an extra Enterprise 44 island to use on a Yorktown Hull. Maybe to much AA and different FC and radar-not sure, but not nearly as noticeable as the rounded upper bridge vs the large square one. Most of the differences between 42 and 44 are on the flight deck I think.

Hornet had a rounded structure on front of the island and rounded decks. I may be using the term “bridge deck” incorrectly, i mean it’s an open deck on the fore part of the island.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: