Join GHQ's free e-mail list. Just enter your e-mail address and click on the Subscribe button. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

GHQ Models Forums
The Best Damn Wargaming Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Modern soviet micronauts
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh. i quick up date it turns out that my dear wife managed to secure two tickets to the Star is Born... you know the Lady gaga movie................for the love of God help me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
StarCruiser
E5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's supposed to be a good movie but...yeah... God help us all!
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that the thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion." - Programmer's Mantra
Guroburov
E5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Uncle Fireball but that is kind of funny. I'm sure you'll survive the movie but I might recommend giving your ships a loving look before the film to gird your willpower. That is sad about CinC shutting down but I really never looked at them for supplies (except for maybe the S-Tank).

Anyway, on to serious discussion. I really just want the late Soviet Northern Fleet circa 1993 for display. I'd love to play with the ships but that would mean expanding into WWI and WWII to get me to the table. Missile engagements just don't excite me as much as gunnery engagements, to be honest. I'll also include an ultramodern list at the bottom. This list is in addition to ships on the master list or mentioned in this thread. I want all those too.

Cold War Fleet choices not made by any (known) manufacturer
Kanin Class Destroyer (8 made)
Kildin Class Destoryer (4 made)
Petya Class Frigate (54 made)
Riga Class Frigate (68 made)
Parchim Class Corvette (28 made)
Grisha Class Corvette (88 made)
Hotel Class SSBN (8 made)
Akula Class SSN (15 made)

Cold War Fleet choices made by other companies
Sverdlov Class Cruiser (14 made)
Mirka Class Frigate (18 made)
Typhoon Class SSBN (6 made)
Delta I-IV Class SSBN (18/4/14/7 made)
Yankee Class SSBN (34 made)
Juliett Class SSBN (16 made)
Sierra Class SSN (4 made)
Foxtrot Class SS (74 made)

Ultra Modern Fleet choices
Buyan Class Corvette (10 made/5 under construction)
Stergushchy Class Corvette (7 made/6 under construction)
Gepard Class Frigate (6 made)
Krivak III Class Frigate (8 made)
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i did survive the movie, Mrs Fireball was crying and so was i but for different reasons.
Great choices for the soviet fleet.
I wasn't going to include the ballistic subs but now i'm not so sure a model of typhoon would be awesome.
I have to research the ultra moderns Mr. Guroburov as my knowledge ends in the early 1990.
Great list though.
Now if only GHQ help us out here.
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes great choice the Akula SSN something closer on par to the western boats.
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Guroburov
PM me with your email address and i will send someyhing your way concerning modern naval gaming

FB
Guroburov
E5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Naval Gaming Reply with quote

Hi Uncle Fireball,

I did want to clarify that I don't hate modern naval gaming. It's just not my cup of tea. I really like WWII most and WWI second. I just love the idea of collecting the Soviet Northern Fleet.

-Steve

This was supposed to be in the PM but edited it when I realized I'd hit the wrong button. lol
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe i can change your mind with my email
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO Mr. Guroburov
If you had to make a choice what would it be WW1 or WW2
I went for both and if i had my time over again i would stick to one period because of cost and time... actually time is the biggest factor as you try to finish ships for both time petiods.
So Mr Guroburov WW1 or WW2?

FB
Guroburov
E5

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the choice, I'd go with WWII over WWI. I figure in about 2-3 years I'll have most of the cold war minis I want and will be looking to expand into something naval at that time. WWII I'd be looking at Japanese or Italian navy. This assumes I don't go into WWII aircraft first. Laughing

-Steve

Edit: WWII aircraft wise, I love USN planes.
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Italian navy looks interesting, i made an error in going for ww1 german and british navies as well as the ww2 pacific war, i couldn't have chosen 2 bigger conflicts if i tried Very Happy
I have to many ships now to pull out from one of them.
Now i;m looking at the modern navies but i fear that that will break the budget.

FB
Mikee
E5

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Japanese 1905 Reply with quote

Fireball,

Have you looked at the WTJ ships? WTJ has a large variety of 3-D printed WWI and pre WWI warships in a variety of scales. No masts, but detail is pretty good. Back in '17 I brought several UK ships involved in the 1893 Nile disaster, and all the ships that actually took part in the Battle of Santiago Bay. (WTJ even produced the Spanish flag ship from that battle without its main battery; just like the real ship Prices are reasonable. I know WTj has many, if not all, of the Japanese and Russian ships of the 1905 war. I took a look at them with the idea of setting up a "Tsushima" order. Unfortunately, some annoying health problems have kept me from doing ANY work on my fleets in the past year.

I believe you mentioned something about having/wanting lots of ships. I've got over 1600 "2400 scale ships" painted,many in the camouflage patterns they actually wore in WWII (although I had only one side of many - like the U.S. MS12M DD patterns). Still have over 100 more to do. I thought that was a big bunch.

However, here in the S. F. Bay Area there is a "club" linked to the SMSC (Society of Model Ship Collectors, I think) that meets 3 times a year. Some of the members have really extensive model ship collections - in 1200 scale! One of them estimated that he had 5000 or so ships on display around his house. Makes my collection seem pretty penny-ante.
Fireball
E5

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is impressive, i'm afraid i'm not in your league my collections consists of maybe 80 warship for the pacific war for both the japs and usa and around 60 fot the ww1 brits and germans.
But i do have a lot of other stuff like board games and minis from other companies but not navy related.
Although i have to show this thread to Mrs. Fireball to make her understand that my collection is pretty small and requires investment. Smile

FB
Mikee
E5

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck! Even I'm not in the league of several members of the Bay Area SMSC group. There's one guy in the group that makes "1200" scale models of "never-builts" and other ships not commercially produced, & sells them at group meetings. (Other members also offer their "extras," etc. for sale at meetings.) I think I've heard that he has made or makes masters for somebody, although I'm not too clear on details.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: