Join GHQ's free e-mail list. Just enter your e-mail address and click on the Subscribe button. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

GHQ Models Forums
The Best Damn Wargaming Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Getting back into it - a few questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mk 1
E5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite agree with panzergator and chrisswim on straightening barrels.

Two perspectives (no change in advice, just piling it on):

1) Flat tweezers are better (in my opinion). But they are hard to find (both in the store, and in my garage). Small (tiny) needle-nose pliers are an acceptable alternative IF they have a smooth flat grip (no teeth in the grip). You want a smooth flat surface.

2) The process, as described by panzergator, is not to bend or re-bend the barrels. Rather, it is just to gently squeeze the barrel. As both sides of the gripping device (tweezers or needle-nose pliers) are flat and straight, you are effectively pressing a form guide onto the barrel. The process is identical with barrels that are angled or curved,. I have tried to unbend kinks and curves deliberately (trying to re-bend it at the bend, or counter-turn a curve to be straight), and had substantially less success. I have found that the re-bending or re-curving process drastically weakens the barrel, while pressing it into a straight guide does not. You just put it between the two flat straight surfaces and gently squeeze it, then rotate a bit and squeeze it again, and then again. Typically about three squeezes does the trick, and you have an admirably straight barrel.

The process is so easy and fast, and I have such confidence in it, that I now do it almost every time I take my models out of their boxes or put them back in. Please note I am NOT suggesting that every barrel needs to be straightened every time I take a model out. Not at all. Only that I can straighten them out without hesitation when they do need it. Doesn't seem to weaken them at all (at least not to my experience).

Your mileage may vary.
panzergator
E5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to what Mk1 has said, trying to reBEND the barrel is likely to break it. Straightening the bend won't cause a tear.
madman
E5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawno wrote:
Thanks for the responses, gentlemen.

I don't know anyone in my area to have a game with, so I will mostly be collecting and painting for now.

I have said I would like to game with you. I assume you just pass through my area and are not local, but no info as to the accuracy of that. If you are in the area on weekends that works. Always looking for new or potential opponents.
shawno
E5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman wrote:
shawno wrote:
Thanks for the responses, gentlemen.

I don't know anyone in my area to have a game with, so I will mostly be collecting and painting for now.

I have said I would like to game with you. I assume you just pass through my area and are not local, but no info as to the accuracy of that. If you are in the area on weekends that works. Always looking for new or potential opponents.

Correct. I just visit family in the GTA. I grew up there but live in Ottawa now.

We can definitely arrange something now that summer is approaching!

Thanks for all the advice folks, just picked up some tweezers, glue, and a magnifying glass. Just got my first new GHQ order today!

What is the most durable IFV turret made by GHQ? i.e. least prone to breakage. Looking for something in the 25mm - 40mm range (thinking Boxer IFV, Puma, M2A3, CV9040)

Thanks! Madman - shoot me a PM!
shawno
E5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone ever use any small hobby drills on their vehicles?

Anyone have advice on drilling the turret hole through on vehicles? 90% of mine are already good to go, but I have a few where it looks like the hole didn't get punched quite right.

Cheers
panzergator
E5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering a dremel at low speed, but right now, I use an x-acto point.
madman
E5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any drilling by hand. Any kind of power tool tends to wander (at best) or jump off on its own (my usual).
shawno
E5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a decent LED magnifier with "arms" to help myself...

I'm going to look around for a decent little hand drill and avoid the power tools. My models thank you!

Very Happy
madman
E5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panzergator is known for replacing barrels with either brass or steel wire. See what he recommends.
shawno
E5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm trying to incorporate what I'm reading from the responses. Turrets are going a bit better now.

The small MG mounts/Remote weapon systems are near impossible for me to work with though. I guess I started off a little too ambitious haha. I'll have to get experience with the bigger stuff first.
panzergator
E5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nerve damage has been making the brass rod business more difficult, so I don't know that I can recommend it for you.
Cav Dog
E5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best tool to straighten bent gun tubes is flat nose pliers. These are usually available as part of a set from micro-mark online or I have seen them at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool.

I use a micro drill, again available from micro-mark, to deepen or expand holes for AA MGs and other small parts. I use tweezers to put the MGs in place and then fast dry CA to glue them in. Gotta be careful though, I have glued several MGs to the tweezers and the tweezers to the turret more than once.

A magnifying visor really helps with the small parts as well.
shawno
E5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I'm checking out Micro Mark - looks like the stuff I need.
Mk 1
E5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years ago I bought a shoebox full of miscellaneous tanks, mostly Russian, from a guy at a local gaming club meeting. He was moving out of 1/285th / 6mm scale, and I can ALWAYS use more Russian tanks, and the price was right. In particular he had a lot of early war stuff, which was a weak spot in my collection.

But alas, a lot of the stuff was just tossed into a box and had not seen any TLC for who knows how long. In short, the barrels were a MESS!

I used the technique of squeeze-and-turn-and-squeeze with my flat head tweazers, as has been described in this thread.

I did not lose a single barrel. And was able to go on to refurbish and add to my collection a large quantity of BT-7s, BT-5s, T-26s, etc.

At one point a few years back I was called upon to field a reasonably large number of JS-2 tanks in a con game. Digging down deep in my "ready forces" box I cam up with some of my 30+ year old JS-2s to boost the quantity past what I had in my more recent purchases and paintings. But in fact it was a bit painful to see just how poor my old models looked, particularly beside my newer work (and GHQ's newer castings).

So I undertook a refurb of my old JS-2s.

I was, again, able to save every bent or kinked barrel. Or, save every barrel that was in fact present. BTW this pick gives a reasonable look at my flat-head tweezers.

There was one turret, visible near the center here, that had a barrel which was already broken at about the halfway point, so that one just had to be replaced.

For replacing barrels I have come to using the nylon "connectors" that come as tag holders on any random new clothing item I buy these days.

I have to clip them off of my clothing purchases anyway. Putting them into a box for later use is no great inconvenience. Over time I've amassed untold different thicknesses and lengths. Many have a distinctive taper at some point allowing them to work for sleeved barrels.

A great advantage is that they don't bend or kink once you mount them. If they do get bent, they spring back to shape all by themselves. I thought I could do the same with heavy test (ie thick) fishing line, but that only works for small gun barrels (lighter test line for MGs or HMGs), because it is sold on roles and I can't manage to not have a visible curve if I use more than 2 or 3mm of length.

But the clothing tags are not always permanently curved. Admittedly some are kinked or curved ... but hey, for the price, I can throw a few of 'em out and not fret over the wastage.

Here I am mounting a new barrel a part of the refurb project on my old GHQ JS-2 models.

I put a blob of glue on the end of the barrel and as it dried, I shaped it to represent the muzzle break. Once finished and painted up, it is very hard to distinguish which of the tanks has the bendable nylon replacement barrel.

Here the refurbs are mixed in with the new models. 3 new models are on the right, the rest are all refurbs. Just try to find the tank with the nylon barrel!

Your tankage may vary.
mike robel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: