Join GHQ's free e-mail list. Just enter your e-mail address and click on the Subscribe button. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

GHQ Models Forums
The Best Damn Wargaming Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
My house fire
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
regia-marina

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sorry to read about the fire but thank goodness everyone is OK. You lost 20,000+ pieces of Micro Armour? You're going to be very busy repainting. Best of luck with everything!
nashorn88
E5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fire stated in furnace and fire damage part of the garage and part of the living room but the smoke is throughout the house everywhere. Most of my miniature collection is safe but smoke damage.

We were in our way very lucky the house did not become fully and go off and we would have lost everything. The insurance company considers every being a total loss and is treating it this way they will inventory every item and give it a value since it doesnít make sense to clean a five dollar item.
If the total is listed in our personal property limit then I can work out a adjustment for what I want to keep if itís more than they would pay out the total amount and let me keep whatever I want I think.
For everyone that has Insurance make sure you have replacement value and NOT actual costs. Actual cost you might get only $.10 on the dollar
Also take pictures or video of all your items.
And any of you that have a business the limits are different then personal ins.
Well enough of my rant

We looking for house to rent but not many will do a less then a year lease
But get this the ones they gave us to look at starts at $5600-$6900
Iím think wtf ?? Crazy right thank god ins will house us up to a year
Hope to have place by next week

In the meantime Iím in my $400 a night hotel room with no miniatures to play with
I take that back I ordered some 28 mm Romans from England that arrived after a fire so Iím kind of repairing those since they were damaged in shipping
Yea $400 a nt and we have 3 rooms too
Not happy here but what are you gonna do

I must be old fart but I donít remember things is costing so much ?
Also get this one contractor says oh whatís your coverage I said 300 something plus they said oh, we may be getting close to that limit and I was thinking wtf
I understand that itís a total tear down to frame but still what is the house youíre going to be made of? Iím sure other parts of the country she could put up a house for less than that. After all weíre only talking about 1500 ft.≤ I know people that have barns and garages that are 1500 ft.≤ Out of the area
nashorn88
E5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranting is over so letís get down to business of miniatures
Hmm If for some reason I canít recover any of my miniatures and I believe I do have 20,000+ Ghq micro armor maybe 5k+ of CinC
I would like to replace them all since insurance will be paying the full cost
I had mostly World War II since thatís a large collection
But itís so much work to straighten up their rose glue down parts and put everything back the way it was
IDK just going to be a lot of work if I have to replace

If Iím able to recover then itís a lot of work to clean and get rid of the smoke odor
I think the best way would be washing off and then sealing it with a coat of clear varnish.
Restoration company is telling me to clean each one would be $5 each and they cannot guarantee the paint will not come off.

How do you guys store your large collection?
All the plastic containers I have now cannot be saved since the smoke was a plastic base and for some reason the smoke molecules Is attracted to other plastics.

Last edited by nashorn88 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
E5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nash I would not know how to start, good luck on whatever path you pick.

Firewood scented pewter micro armour!
Sound good (only in small amounts and controlled conditions).

Mick.
cama
E5

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a kid my uncle had a house fire. I can to this day remember the awful smell that permeated the house - everywhere. Smoke damage is pervasive and awful.

Good luck with the restoration, I hope it goes as well as it can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: