Join GHQ's free e-mail list. Just enter your e-mail address and click on the Subscribe button. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

GHQ Models Forums
The Best Damn Wargaming Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Micronaut Only Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
regia-marina
E5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking over this thread and it is too bad that so many of the pictures have disappeared or have been marred by Photo Bucket. This thread has been very useful as a reference and for tips on painting our Micronauts. It has been great to see everyone's handiwork. I'm going to post some new photos of ships that I have already posted. Most have been repainted since they were originally posted. I would encourage anyone who has had their photos blurred by PhotoBucket to repost.
regia-marina
E5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roma, Littorio and the Vittorio Veneto
regia-marina
E5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the Italian battleships. Well, minus the Impero. I'm waiting for GHQ to release a model of it.
regia-marina
E5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutzow, Graf Spee and Admiral Scheer
regia-marina
E5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conte di Cavour under fire.
StarCruiser
E5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the way to fix the issue - just start posting new ones!
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that the thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion." - Programmer's Mantra
regia-marina
E5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I th

Last edited by regia-marina on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
regia-marina
E5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought StarCruiser. Great minds think alike.
redleg
E5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking ships, RM!
Mikee
E5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: WWI U.K. DD paint colors Reply with quote

I have been thinking of expanding my U.K. DD flotillas at the Battle of Jutland. The only information that I have about their colors, was an old article (I think) that said they were painted black. Does anybody know anything more than this? Were they black on all horiz. and vert. surfaces? Were decks different? Were they, in fact, some other color? Thanks for anything you can give me.
cinctim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikee,
In my copy of Warships of World War I, (Ian Allan series), H.M Le Fleming author,
while all of the pictures are black & white, most of them are not so dark as to impress that
the Destroyers were painted black, although there are a few pictures that looked like they
could indeed be either very dark grey or possibly black. I too have heard the black color I
nfo, but don't remember when or
from whom. The book did have a section on Painting & Silhouette, (Pages 31 & 32), but
it's more on "the larger British warship", versus other types. For what its worth, in 1914,
they went from "Medium dark grey colour changed to light grey, and funnel bands painted
out. I'm sure Don would be more knowledgeable on the subject.
Mikee
E5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEEKS! I painted all my larger ships a medium gray (507B, actually) several years ago. Since I was collecting ships that were at Jutland, I've likely got the wrong shade. Oh, well. They look good anyway, and it's unlikely anyone else will ever see them.

Thanks for the info CINCTIM. I've got some of the Ian Allen books around here, somewhere (how can so many things disappear in an 800 sq. ft. apt., I don't understand), but it's been so long since I looked at them, I don't even remember which ones I have.

Someday I hope to show off some of my stuff in the Forum. I'm going to ask my son, sometime, to help me go through the process of taking pictures, putting them into some kind of system, and putting them in here.
Donald M. Scheef
E5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For colours of British destroyers at Jutland, I strongly recommend Osprey Publishing New Vanguard volume 163, British Destroyers 1892-1918. Aside from a number of black and white photographs of various types there are several pages with color drawings. One is a cutaway, three are 2-view (profile and plan) and three are colour reproduction of paintings. Most of Osprey's books are available in e-book format and many are on sale through February.

I didn't see any that are black and even dark grey seems relatively unusual. I think that the impression of black destroyers may be the result of most photographs being taken in fair weather with a light sky background.

Also remember the scale shading effect. Even if the actual ship is black, a model in 1/2400 scale should be at most a dark grey. I think that Mikee's choice of a medium grey is just about right.

Don S.
you'll avoid catastrophe."
D'oh!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82
Page 82 of 82

Jump to: