Join GHQ's free e-mail list. Just enter your e-mail address and click on the Subscribe button. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

GHQ Models Forums
The Best Damn Wargaming Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
scratch building
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cpl_Blakeman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the dimensions most folks use for houses? I am trying to make a 1980s US suburb but it seems I either make the houses way too big or way to small.
Timothy OConnor
E5

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

What rules do you use and/or how do you handle buildings in your game?

My question is driven by a common problem for wargamers. It seems that the more detailed and finished our terrain is, the less "functional" it can become. An extreme example would be a detailed model village permanently mounted to a 2' x 2' board. What happens when one wants to put a stand right where a building's roof is located?

At the other end of the spectrum is the use of matts to define terrain features such as towns but then it's harder to make the buildings look integrated with ground detail (as you have done so well!) since the buildings can be moved to place troop stands.

Tim
WHM
E5

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to size buildings? damn good question Corp.

I've been trying to make buildings like sfcgreg29er with varying degrees of success and to size them I build the model in Microsoft paint and then copy and paste to a word.doc then format the picture to size.

To use as a comparison I copy the front of this model (http://www.iandrea.co.uk/wargames/6mm/buildings/paperbuildings/assets/IanH_CH1.pdf) and then format the one I made to size.

It seems to work out OK, but I am not the master. Perhaps there are better ways?
You dice with death when you cross the trench
Ben
E5

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant stuff Mike Exclamation
Thank you very much for posting.

Kind regards from Germany,
Ben
av8rmongo
E5

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been busy in the workshop over the past few weeks rounding out my Bundeswehr forces. For a long time now I've wanted someone to do the Wiesel family of vehicles in micro armor. Well no one makes a good one so I made my own. My latest creation is the Ozelot light anti-aircaft vehicle.

Here's theirs:

Here's mine with the base coat of paint:

[img]

Together with one not yet painted:

The running gear is not correct but I think they're better than Skytrex or whoever it is that makes one.

For those interested the base vehicle is the Vikers MkVI light tank cut and shaved down with bits of Evergreen plastic for the hull and hatches. The MG is a pintle mounted M-60 extra with the fore stock and gas valves cut away. The cammo net is from the Halftrack accessory pack.

Later I'll share my Dachs pioneer panzer.

Paul

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

http://av8rmongo.wordpress.com
Ritter
E5

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kewl!

Nice Job!

Troy
av8rmongo
E5

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm still working on "wargaming standard" trying to step up to "RitterKrieg standard". These are better than the 20mm and Tow versions I've made (I didn't have a good top view back then so the crew hatches are wrong or just plain absent) but they sill aren't 100%.

Paul

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

av8rmongo
E5

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised here are my recent BPz-2 conversions to Dachs Pioneer panzers.

And now the whole platoon

Still need to do some detailing on the arm I think but the vis mod is pretty good for the table top.

Paul

Next will be the TPz-1 Fuchs Pioneer vehicle.

- George Orwell

av8rmongo
E5

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the TPz-1 Pioneer vehicles.

And the whole platoon.

This set is a mix of GHQ and the other guys TPz-1s (sorry, just using what I had on hand at the time) I have another set which was a first attempt and not nearly as nice - I'll have to re-do those vehicles a little. Detail pieces once again come from the halftrack accessory pack and a bit of fine copper wire. Evergreen plastic bits make up the two razor wire bins on top of the vehicle.

Paul

- George Orwell

Gunbird

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, lets just post some of my stuff then....

Being obsessed with multi function and modular stuff (I'm insane) i was toying with my bag of broken and miscast stuff from another company.

I took two of the appartment blocks, cleaned them up a bit and glued them together. So far I have added an elevator shaft, airconditioning units on top and the 4 parts of the base compound. It will be painted partially burnt out.

It will be:
1) A hotel, something to go next to a Autobahn or highway, or just inside the city. Europe, Middle East, Afrika or whatever is no concern, it will be mostly asfalt (parking spaces) with some green, no trees, so its suitable for every location.

2) A TV or radio station. Always a good objective.

3) A hospital.

4) A Government building or a University

Those are my 4 aiming points for now, and here is a quick shot with a GHQ Leopard 2A5 standing in for size.

the 2 big plates are 7.5 x 15cm, the smaller ones 7.5 x 7.5 cm. Streets in the city are 2cm wide (so all of my vehicles fit snugly), pavements are just 5mm wide strips of 0.3mm plasticcard. Fencing so far are wooden swirl sticks found on the counter of food stands on stations, I usual grab a cup of hot coco with this years weather and just grab a bundle of them every time.

To differentiate what the building is I've made magnetised markers for it. The top of the elevator shaft has a magnet imbedded in it, and so have my 3 markers so far. A radio antenna for the radio/ tv station, a big Toucan for the hotel (it's a Dutch thing) and a small disc I might paint a red cross on or the S of the Sheridan hotel in Kuwait I used for a burnt out example.

Not sure yet what symbols to use for the Uni and the Gov Building. Not sure when it will be done either as I'm still dubbing about the size, and where I should place the walls etc. But it's fun and soafr it's almost free (the plasticcard was more expensive then the resin models I bought by weight)

So, what ya think sofar?

<Edit> The chicken is done....

Dutch will understand.

Johan
Ben
E5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

very nice new adds!!
My favourite is Paul's Dachs - good work.

Kind regards,
Ben
sfcgreg29er
E5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for another tutorial.

Every city needs a park with a monument to honor their war heroes.

Started with 1mm thick styrene and glued up a base for the monument. Measures 15 x 15mm square by 5mm tall.

Stuck a top and bottom on it. Bottom measures 20 x 20mm. Top of base 16 x 16mm. All .75mm thick.

Part for roll call of heroes was made from 2mm dia rod glued to the corners of pieces measuring 6 x 10mm by 1mm thick

Top on this part measures 13 x 13mm. .75mm thick

Added some small strips to add a little more detail. I think about .5 x .75mm strip.

Glued some thick paper to sides to represent the plaque for names of heroes.

Added the Washington Monument looking thing. I'm not an architect so I don't know what its called. This was made from a piece of wood 5 x 5mm x 25mm tall. Tapered it by using rubbing it flat on a piece of sandpaper.

Painted the whole thing with Tamiya medium gray, heavily drybrushed with Polly S old concrete, lightly drybrushed with white, and then applied a wash coat.

Glued to a 3" x 3" ply base and added sidewalks.

Glued on grass using my tan paint and glue mixture.

Added some shrubs and fence.

A couple of shade trees.

And presto!! One monument park for my city.

I did add four park benches but didn't take a picture. Overall height of monument is 44mm. Making this was kinda of fun . I think I will make a small water fountain for a small town center scene.

To answer Timothy OConnor's question. I use GHQ's rules. To place soldiers in buildings, I made some clear styrene bases that go over the buildings and place the stands on top. You can still see the buildings and place the stands right where you want them. See a previous post of mine.

http://www.ghqmodels.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=842&start=30

Got to get back to painting more lead!! I think I counted about 60 vehicles and about 100 infantry thats ready to paint.

"29 Let's Go"
Mk 1
E5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sfcgreg29r:

You sir, are a first class microarmor artist! Bravo.

Your work is outstanding. You have a remarkable eye for creating your terrain pieces. Your tutorials are a great service to us all. Wonderful and inspirational stuff.

Thanks for posting! Smile
thomas.tmcc
E5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ sfcgreg29er

the washington monument thing as you said its called an obelisk mate..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obelisk

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TOandEs/
Ritter
E5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

av8rmongo, Gunbird, and sfcgreg29er.

Truly inspiring stuff. Your pics are great and the eye for detail and scale is obvious. Makes me wanna paint!

..Now if I could just stop playing Red Orchastra in my spare time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 21 of 67

Jump to: