Join GHQ's free e-mail list. Just enter your e-mail address and click on the Subscribe button. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

GHQ Models Forums
The Best Damn Wargaming Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Scale Specialties Decals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
av8rmongo
E5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Scale Specialties Decals Reply with quote

Has anyone used Scale Specialties decals? I ordered some Korean War decals for F-86s and was wondering if anyone could give a product review so I know what to expect when they arrive. Thanks.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

http://av8rmongo.wordpress.com
BattlerBritain
E5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used their Battle of Britain Heinkel, Junkers 88 and Dornier 17 sheets and I think they are some of the best decals I've ever used.

They are very well made and fit the aircraft perfectly.

I would encourage that you read the very detailed sheets that come with the decals first.

There are a lot of very small decals and they are not always placed so that all decals for a plane are placed near each other, so prior planning prevents bad things happening.

The decals also allow a lot of options on which aircraft you can do.

So I'd also recommend that you decide which planes you're going to do before you cut out any decals. So research on your subject and studying what decals are included is highly recommended.

And the results are just great.

I'm just about to order the Stuka sheet, which from a preview of 1/300th - 1/285th decals available on Amazon US includes enough decals to do probably about 12 Stukas.

The F-86 sheets look great as well. There is a decal for the F-86 with a dragon down the side. Looks great.

Good luck and hope to see some piccies of great looking F-86s up here when you're done.
jb
E5

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice cache of decals, thanks for the info...
av8rmongo
E5

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BattlerBritain,

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely post pictures when they're done. I had originally intended to finish them in Pakistani colors but when I found these decals I changed my mind. I ordered the late war 4th Fighter Interceptor Wing decals which I don't think have the dragon.

Does anyone know who painted the F-86 in the catalog? I'm wondering what paint they used for the bare metal finish. Thanks.

Paul

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

pmskaar
E5

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Scale Specialties Decals Reply with quote

Hi Paul

I painted both the F-86 and the Mig 15 for the catalog. For the bare metal finish, I used Humbrol #191 Chrome Silver as it gave a pretty close approximation of what I was looking for.
I tried their #56 Aluminum at first but I thought it was a bit dark.

The decals on both aircraft are from !-94 Enterprises. I am interested to hear what you think of the Scale Specialties ones.

Pete
cama
E5

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did a great job Pete!

I'm interested in seeing yours when done too Paul. The dragon decal is excellent looking! I have some Doms Decals to do a Canadian Sabre, but haven't got round to it yet. Smile
pmskaar
E5

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Scale Specialties Decals Reply with quote

Cama

Thanks very much! I appreciate it.

Pete
Dog Smack
E5

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellas,
I can echo BattlerBritain. I have 3 sets, Ju88/He111, Ju87, and The US pacific fighters set. I have yet to apply them but I can say they look very good and the detail included in the package as to units and placement is very good. I have GHQ's Ju88, Ju87 (B model) and their F4U. I'm looking forward to getting them painted up.

I will be buying more from specialty decals for sure!

Steve
BattlerBritain
E5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some sad news...

Dave Winfree from I-94 has just posted on the CY6 forums that Norm Harms, Mr Scale Specialities, has passed away aged 74.

That really is sad news.
av8rmongo
E5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The F-86s are primed, I found some Humbrol Chrome Silver in a local hobby shop, and the decals have arrived. All I need now is for the wind to die down a bit so my totally ghetto $5 paint booth doesn't get blown away. Pete, I assume you airbrushed yours is that correct?

- George Orwell

av8rmongo
E5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,
I was looking at the I-94 decal sheets on their website and I have a question. Are there two decal sheets in the pack or only one? The reason I ask is the tail code numbers are only printed once on the scanned sheet. Without having two sheets in the pack you could only do one side of the airplane.

Paul

- George Orwell

pmskaar
E5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Scale Specialties Decals Reply with quote

Hi Paul

1. I do use an airbrush to do almost all my base coating. I did use an airbrush for both the F-86 and the Mig 15.

2. I-94 decals come 2 sheets to a pack. The second sheet is identical to the first. That should give you the decals you need.

Pete
av8rmongo
E5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,

Thanks. I like the decals from Scale Specialties, they have more details like squadron insignia etc. I was just interested in seeing what the other options were.

- George Orwell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GHQ Models Forums Forum Index -> Military Models General Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: